Month: August 2009

Update/Correction on Cents Roster:

I don’t know if it’s because I’m so focused on getting Q101 up and running for Monday, but when I posted earlier this morning that Payton Schaefer had been released after last night’s Cents intrasquad game, it was incorrect. It’s been brought to my attention that Payton is in fact still with the Cents heading into Monday night’s exhibition game against Penticton.

I apologize if the mistake caused any problems to anyone and thanks for your understanding. I’ve also now corrected my earlier post so it’s accurate.

Cents Black-White Intrasquad Game:

Was at last night’s Cents Black-White Intrasquad game before close to 200 fans at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena. Team White beat Team Black 8-3.

Scoring Summary:

First Period

1. Black, Alex Valenti (unassisted) 4:11

2. White, Colton Sobchak (Thomas Hardy, Shawn Maktaak) 19:34

Second Period

3. White, Derek Hills (Sobchak) :50

4. White, Sobchak (Brent Baltus, Zach MacLellan) 3:22

5. Black, Matt Luongo (Dustin Johnson, Jordan Hirano) 4:26

6. White, Jeremy Long (Maktaak, Hills) 4:45

7. White, Sobchak (Kameran Crawford) 5:54

8. White, Sylvan Harper (Sean Pesut, Maktaak) 8:20

9. Black, Valenti (Alessio Tomasetti, Jeff Zmurchyk) 9:15

10. White, Crawford (unassisted) 19:41

Third Period

11. White, Mike Nardi (Patrick Martens, Crawford) 10:12

Here are the team rosters:

Team Black

Co-coaches: Bill Pierce, Cliff Nokleby

Dustin Johnson
Gary Rai
Alex Valenti
Alessio Tomassetti
Ryan Aynsley
Matt Luongo
Jordan Hirano
Jake Newman
Ben Greenaway
Daylan Robertson
Briar McNaney
Bruce Swakum

Steve Tresierra
Jeff Zmurchyk
Jake Baker
Ryan Skinner
Ryan Murray

Kyle Nielsen
Norbert Biszczak

Team White

Co-coaches: Shane Sanderson, Pat McCormack

Jordan Soquila
Thomas Hardy
Mike Nardi
Colton Sobchak
Sean Pesut
Jeremy Long
Sylvan Harper
Patrick Martens
Payton Schaefer
Brent Baltus
Shawn Maktaak

Ryne Bodger
Derek Hills
Matt Mazzarolo
Zach MacLellan
Chase McLeod
Kameran Crawford

Spencer Bacon
Michael Tomescu

Scratched players: Kevin Philp, Daniel Chang, Stephen Wall, Brad Bourke

The game featured four fights as Dustin Johnson dropped the mitts twice, with Kameran Crawford and also with Matt Mazzarolo. Alessio Tomassetti took on Shawn Maktaak and Ryan Aynsley tussled with Derek Hills.

Kyle Nielsen started in goal for Team White and allowed a total of six goals, but I found out after the game that he’s battling an injury right now. Norbert Biszczak looked strong in goal after taking over from Nielsen midway through the second period, giving up just two goals. Spencer Bacon got the start for Team Black and gave up all three goals his team allowed. Michael Tomescu came in at the game’s midpoint and didn’t allow a goal through the second half.

There was a scary incident in the second period when Derek Hills hit Ben Greenaway dangerously into the boards. Greenaway lay on the ice for quite some time, before getting up and skating off under his own power, but he was clutching his shoulder and wrist as he went off. I later learned that he has suffered what is thought to be a dislocated shoulder.

After the game, eight more players were reassigned to other teams: Ben Greenaway, Daylan Robertson, Briar McNaney, Ryan Murray, Sean Pesut, Jeremy Long, Patrick Martens and Chase McLeod. The cuts leave the Cents with a total of 34 players still in camp, including the four that didn’t play last night. Bruce Swakum and Payton Schaefer are the two local Merritt players still with the team. Although I know the coaches were very impressed with Daylan Robertson but at 14, he’s too young to play in the BCHL right now. I think it’s safe to say that he’ll be on the Cents radar for the next couple seasons.

Here’s who’s still with the team heading into the exhibition season:

Forwards:

Matt Luongo (91) – Grandview (PIJHL)
Jake Newman (92) –
Sylvan Harper (92) – Vancouver NE (MML)
Colton Sobchak (90) – Cents
Kevin Philp (90) – Cents
Stephen Wall (91) – Spruce Grove (AJHL)
Dustin Johnson (90) – Cents
Thomas Hardy (91) – Burnaby (BCHL)
Bruce Swakum (91) – Merritt Midgets
Brent Baltus (92) – North Island (MML)
Shawn Maktaak (92) – Creston Valley (KIJHL)
Daniel Chang (91) – Valencia (WSHL)
Alessio Tomassetti (89) – Cents
Michael Nardi (90) – Cents
Jordan Hirano (92) – Fernie (KIJHL)
Alex Valenti (89) – Cents/North Bay (OJHL)
Gary Rai (90) – Cents
Ryan Aynsley (90) – Cents
Payton Schaefer (93) – Thompson Blazers
Jordan Soquila (89) – Cents

Defencemen:

Steve Tresierra (90) – Cents
Matt Mazzarolo (90) – Cents
Zach MacLellan (92) – Columbia Valley (KIJHL)
Brad Bourke (89) – Cents
Derek Hills (90) – Powell River (BCHL)
Jake Baker (91) – Cents
Kameran Crawford (91) – Grand Forks (KIJHL)
Ryan Skinner (92) – Thompson Blazers
Ryne Bodger (90) – Powell River (BCHL)
Jeff Zmurchyk (90) – Trail (BCHL)

Goaltenders:

Michael Tomescu (91) – Abbotsford (PIJHL)
Kyle Nielsen (90) – Cents
Norbert Biszczak (90) – North Delta (PIJHL)
Spencer Bacon (92) – Bradford (GMHL)

I’ll an interview I did with Cents head coach Dylan Forsythe posted later today.

Cents Training Camp – Day One:

Today was the first day of main camp for the Merritt Centennials. I’m sorry I didn’t get to post this sooner, but with Q101 going on the air on Monday, things have been crazy busy around the radio station this week.

34 players, plus veterans, made the cut following rookie camp yesterday. The players have been separated into three different teams for scrimmages that were scheduled for today and are scheduled for tomorrow.

Here’s the teams and who they played for last season…

Team White

Matt Luongo (91) – Grandview (PIJHL)

Jake Newman (92) –
Sylvan Harper (92) – Vancouver NE (MML)
Patrick Martens (92) – Ridge Meadows Midget AAA
Payton Schaefer (93) – Thompson Blazers
Jeremy Long (89) – Chase – two seasons ago (KIJHL)
Jesse Kightley (91) – Merritt Minor Hockey
David White (90) – Beverly (CJHL)
Dustin Johnson (90) – Cents
Thomas Hardy (91) – Burnaby (BCHL)
Ryan Murray (93) – Kamloops Midget AAA
Chase McLeod (93) – Thompson Blazers
Steve Tresierra (90) – Cents
Matt Mazzarolo (90) – Cents
James Leonard (93) – Kamloops U16
Braeden Johnson (91) – Campbell River (VIJHL)

Team Black

Bruce Swakum (91) – Merritt Midgets
Quinn Rempel (92) – Salmon Arm Midget AA
Brent Baltus (92) – North Island (MML)
Shawn Maktaak (92) – Creston Valley (KIJHL)
Ben Greenaway (93) – POE
Daniel Chang (91) – Valencia (WSHL)
Daylan Robertson (94) – Merritt Bantams
Rick Battenberg (90) – Squamish (PIJHL)
Alessio Tomasetti (90) – Cents
Michael Nardi (90) – Cents
Kameran Crawford (91) – Grand Forks (KIJHL)
Ryan Skinner (92) – Thompson Blazers
Ryne Bodger (90) – Powell River (BCHL)
Jeff Zmurchyk (90) – Trail (BCHL)
Norbert Biszczak (90) – North Delta (PIJHL)
Cam Dagg (92) – Kamloops Midget AAA
Cody Tent (93) – Williams Lake Midget

Team Red

Duncan Schulz (91) – Kamloops Midget AAA
Sean Pesut (92) – Vancouver NE (MML)
Geoff Doka (92) – Fernie (KIJHL)
Riley Hellekson (92) – Edson Midget AAA
Jordan Hirano (92) – Fernie (KIJHL)
Briar McNaney (93) – Thompson Blazers
Brendan Colter (93) – Merritt Midget AA
Luke Richardson (91) – Sicamous (KIJHL)
Alex Valenti (89) – Cents/North Bay (OJHL)
Gary Rai (90) – Cents
Evan Burgess (92) – Fernie (KIJHL)
Zach MacLellan (92) – Columbia Valley (KIJHL)
Brad Bourke (89) – Cents
Derek Hills (90) – Powell River (BCHL)
Jake Baker (91) – Cents
Michael Tomescu (91) – Abbotsford (PIJHL)
Kyle Nielsen (90) – Cents

Here’s Cents GM/Assistant Coach Tyler Forsythe on cut-down day.

Cents GM/Assistant Coach Tyler Forsythe
http://www.odeo.com/flash/audio_player_standard_gray.swf
Click here to download

All audio property of Q101 (Merritt Broadcasting Ltd.)

With today’s schedule done, here’s what tomorrow’s looks like:

Friday, August 28

8:30 AM – 9:30 AM Black vs. Red
10:00 AM – 11:00 AM Red vs. White
11:30 AM – 12:30 PM White vs. Black
1:15 PM – 1:30 PM Player Release/Evaluation
7:00 PM – 9:00 PM Red-Black Prospects Game
9:30 PM – 9:45 PM – Player Release/Evaluation

Prospects Training Camp – Day Two:

I was only able to catch the last half of the last scrimmage of the day yesterday at Centennials Prospects Camp, but I did have a chance to talk with head coach and assistant GM Dylan Forsythe after the session.

Cents Head Coach & Assistant GM Dylan Forsythe
http://www.odeo.com/flash/audio_player_standard_gray.swf
Click here to download

All audio property of Q101 (Merritt Broadcasting Ltd.)

Here’s today’s schedule:

8:00 am – 9:00 am: Grey vs. White
9:15 am – 9:30 am: Player Release/Evaluation
9:45 am – 10:45 am: Gold vs. Black
11:00 am – 11:15 am: Player Release/Evaluation
11:30 am – 12:30 pm: Blue vs. White
12:45 pm – 1:00 pm: Player Release/Evaluation

Prospects Training Camp – Day One:

Because of work and focus on getting Q101 on the air next week, I wasn’t able to catch all of the games for the opening of Cents prospects camp today but did have a chance to catch a couple.

A handful of veteran players were taking part in the games today, but mainly played defence as there aren’t too many blue liners trying to crack the roster. And who can blame them with seven defencemen with BCHL experience here.

Here are the team rosters: (keep in mind that some players aren’t listed here because they were late registrations)

Team Grey

Jeremy Long (89) – Chase – two seasons ago (KIJHL)
Dustin Urdea (90) – Squamish (PIJHL)
Matt Keller (90) – Mission (PIJHL)
Jordan Swetlikoff (91) – Castlegar (KIJHL)
Luke Richardson (91) – Sicamous (KIJHL)
Matthew Pouncy (92) – Kamloops (KIJHL)
Riley Hellekson (92) – Edson Midget AAA
Daylan Robertson (94) – Merritt Bantams
Matt Geurts (90) – Creston Valley (KIJHL)
Zach MacLellan (92) – Columbia Valley (KIJHL)
Garrett Laidler (91) – Red Deer Midget AAA
Michael Tomescu (91) – Abbotsford (PIJHL)

Team White

Rick Battenberg (90) – Squamish (PIJHL)
David White (90) – Beverly (CJHL)
Keagan Hunter (91) – Mission (PIJHL)
Bruce Swakum (91) – Merritt Midgets
Rylan Willoughby (91) – Kamloops Midget Tier I
Brent Baltus (92) – North Island (MML)
Sylvan Harper (92) – Vancouver NE (MML)
Payton Schaefer (93) – Thompson Blazers
Kameran Crawford (91) – Grand Forks (KIJHL)
Ryan Murray (93) – Kamloops Midget AAA
Braeden Johnson (91) – Campbell River (VIJHL)
Cam Dagg (92) – Kamloops Midget AAA

Team Gold

Jordan Wood (90) – Chase (KIJHL)
David Igarashi (90) – Elliot Lake (GMHL)
Daniel Cletheroe (90) – Beaverlodge (NWJHL)
Tim Wender (91) – South Muskoka (OJHL)
Matt Luongo (91) – Grandview (PIJHL)
Brendan Colter (93) – Merritt Midget AA
Jordan Hirano (92) – Fernie (KIJHL)
Ryan Clark (93) – Kamloops Midget AAA
Zach Traverse (91) – Fernie (KIJHL)
Chase McLeod (93) – Thompson Blazers
Norbert Biszczak (90) – North Delta (PIJHL)
James Leonard (93) – Kamloops U16

Team Black

Sean Menton (89) – Kamloops (KIJHL)
Joel Hamilton (90) – Abbotsford (PIJHL)
Robert Anderson (90) – Merritt Midget
Duncan Shulz (91) – Kamloops Midget AAA
Jesse Kightley (91) – Merritt Minor Hockey
Chase Edwards (91) – Thompson Blazers
Shawn Maktaak (92) – Creston Valley (KIJHL)
Patrick Martens (92) – Ridge Meadows Midget AAA
Ben Greenaway (93) – POE
Ryan Skinner (92) – Thompson Blazers
Lucas Wegner (93) – Semiahmoo Midgets
Zachary Blaine (90) – Fort St. John (NWJHL)
Boomer Sheena (91) – Merritt Midgets
Mitchell Sheridan (92) – Lillooet Midgets

Team Blue

Luke Hayes (89) – South Jersey (IJHL)
Zach Haight (90) – Coeur d’Alene (NPHL)
Matt Pesut (90) – Ridge Meadows (PIJHL)
Tommy Rogic (91) – Valley West (MML)
Nicholas Yee (91) – Penticton Midget AAA
Quinn Rempel (92) – Salmon Arm Midget AA
Sean Pesut (92) – Vancouver NE (MML)
Briar McNaney (93) – Thompson Blazers
Garrett Walter (90) – Merritt Midget AA
Evan Burgess (92) – Fernie (KIJHL)
Kyle Graham (91) – Kamloops (KIJHL)
Riley Carriere (91) – Aldergrove (PIJHL)
Cody Tent (93) – Williams Lake Midget

Here’s today’s schedule:

8:00 AM – 9:00 AM White vs. Black
9:30 AM – 10:30 AM Blue vs. Grey
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM Gold vs. White
2:30 PM – 3:30 PM Grey vs. Black
4:00 PM – 5:00 PM Gold vs. Blue

I also had the chance to speak with Cents assistant coach Luke Pierce after yesterday’s sessions.

Cents Assistant Coach Luke Pierce
http://www.odeo.com/flash/audio_player_standard_gray.swf
Click here to download

All audio property of Q101 (Merritt Broadcasting Ltd.)

Cents Training Camp – Veterans:

The Cents had their eligible returning veterans in town Friday night for the start of training camp.

All of the vets were there, except for Tyler Pistone and J.J. Waldrop (who are both playing junior A in the US) and Tyler Miller (who’s trying out for the WHL).

The players had a run on both Saturday and Sunday mornings before two-a-day practices.

I had the chance to talk with Centennials GM and Assistant Coach Tyler Forsythe this morning, ahead of today’s first on-ice sessions.

Cents GM and Assistant Coach Tyler Forsythe
http://www.odeo.com/flash/audio_player_standard_gray.swf
Click here to download

All audio property of Q101 (Merritt Broadcasting Ltd.)

2009-10 Cents Training Camp Schedule:

The Cents have posted their training camp schedule on their website:

The Merritt Centennials are pleased to announce their 2009-10 Training Camp schedule. (Subject to change without notice)

Saturday, August 22

9:00 AM to 9:30 AM Community Run Location: 5k

Sunday, August 23

8:00 AM to 8:30 AM Community Run Location: 3k
7:00 PM to 8:00 PM Prospect Registration

Monday, August 24

8:00 AM to 9:00 AM Black vs. Gold
9:30 AM to 10:30 AM Red vs. White
11:00 AM to 12:00 PM Grey vs. Blue
2:30 PM to 3:30 PM Gold vs. White
4:00 PM to 5:00 PM Black vs. Grey
5:30 PM to 6:30 PM Blue vs. Red

Tuesday, August 25

8:00 AM to 9:00 AM Blue vs. White
9:30 AM to 10:30 AM Gold vs. Grey
11:00 AM to 12:00 PM Red vs. Black
2:30 PM to 3:30 PM Blue vs. Gold
4:00 PM to 5:00 PM White vs. Black
5:30 PM to 6:30 PM Grey vs. Red

Wednesday, August 26

8:00 AM to 9:00 AM Gold vs. Red
9:45 AM to 10:45 AM Blue vs. Black
11:30 AM to 12:30 PM White vs. Grey

Thursday, August 27

8:30 AM to 9:30 AM Blue vs. Grey
10:00 AM to 11:00 AM Gold vs. Blue
11:30 AM to 12:30 PM Grey vs. Gold

Friday, August 28

8:30 AM to 9:30 AM Grey vs. Gold
10:00 AM to 11:00 AM Blue vs. Grey
11:30 AM to 12:30 PM Gold vs. Blue
7:00 PM to 9:00 PM Red / Black Prospects Game