Waldrop Leaves Merritt for Wichita Falls:

(J.J. Waldrop)

The Merritt Centennials roster got thinner by one player today as J.J. Waldrop has left the team to play for the Wichita Falls Wildcats of the NAHL. According to the Wildcats website, Waldrop is among the 27 players the team will take to its training camp.

I think Waldrop realized it was going to be tough for him to crack the Centennials roster with at least Jordan Soquila, Brad Bourke and Ryne Bodger all 1989-born players ahead of him on the club’s depth chart. With the style that J.J. played, it’s likely the Centennials will be able to replace his ten points in 37 games with a younger player who won’t take up a 20-year-old position.

As far as I know, the Cents won’t receive any compensation as a result of Waldrop jumping to the NAHL because he’s an American-born U.S. citizen.