Month: September 2009

Cents nip Penticton 5-4:

The Cents knocked off the number-three ranked team in the country with a 5-4 win against Penticton. I’ll have more on the game hopefully tomorrow, but for now, here’s an interview that I did with Cents coach Dylan Forsythe following the big victory.

Cents Head Coach/Assistant GM Dylan Forsythe
http://www.odeo.com/flash/audio_player_standard_gray.swf
Click here to download

All audio property of Merritt Broadcasting Ltd.

Cents Slammed 8-2 by Powell River:

Here’s the game summary from the Cents website as they lost 8-2 in Powell River:

Powell River, BC – September 25, 2009

Ben Schmidt had two goals and an assist while Andrew Pettitt and Darcy Huisman each had a goal and two assists in the Powell River Kings’ 8-2 victory over the Merritt Centennials on Friday night.

Schmidt opened the scoring at 2:49 of the first period when he jumped on a loose puck after a huge hit by Cents defenceman Derek Hills and buried it behind Norbert Biszczak. Former Merritt captain Jordan Grant made it 2-0 with a power-play goal 8:38 into the game, firing the puck into an empty net after a pass from Justin Hogan. Pettitt, at 12:18, and Huisman, at 13:40, gave Powell River a 4-0 lead after 20 minutes. Biszczak was replaced by Cole Holowenko following the Kings’ fourth goal.

Kevin Philp got the Centennials on the board 1:41 into the second period. Schmidt notched his second of the night less than three minutes later to make it 5-1. Powell River’s Reid Campbell on the power play at 7:59 and Merritt’s David Sabey at 10:16 traded goals as the score after two read 6-2 Kings.

Klay Kachur added another extra-man goal at 11:47 of the third and Chad Niddery rounded out the scoring for Powell River just 16 seconds later.

Goalie Michael Garteig finished with 27 saves.

The Kings improved to 4-2-0-0. Merritt fell to 1-3-0-0 and has scored only eight goals in four games. The Centennials return to the ice Saturday night in Burnaby.

Merritt Peewee Rep – The Hockey News:

I received this email from Christine Fichter, who is helping to organize a fundraiser for the Merritt Peewee Rep team. Here’s her letter:

Dear Supporters:

The 2009 – 2010 MMHA Peewee Rep team is working hard, both on and off the ice, to
make this a successful season. On ice, we are fortunate to have some excellent coaches working to help our kids with conditioning, skills, and on-ice strategy. Off ice, we are working to raise funds to help offset the costs associated with rep team play, ensuring that our young hockey fans enjoy the winter sport they love best – HOCKEY!

This year as one of our fundraising initiatives, we are teaming up with The Hockey News magazine to bring up-to-date hockey stats and information to your mailbox every two weeks. You/your child get to keep up with all the latest hockey talk, and our team is rewarded with a percentage of each subscription sold.

For $50.00, you receive 30 issues of the magazine, including special bonus issues such as: Yearbook, Future Watch, and more. Count on The Hockey News to bring you all the pulse-pounding hockey action: first-hand coverage of all the excitement, behind-the bench close-ups of your favorite teams, hard-hitting opinions from the top sportswriters and team-by-team coverage, full-color action shots and profiles of the biggest stars, PLUS schedules, rosters, predictions, stats, scoops, and so much more!

To purchase a subscription, please return the information/funds requested
to Christine Fichter (250-378-9666) by Saturday, October 3rd.

The Peewee Rep Team thanks you for your support!

Sincerely,
Crystal McMaster
Peewee Rep Team Manager

Cents Fall 7-2 to Burnaby:

Here’s a recap of the game from the Cents website:

Merritt, BC – September 24, 2009

Canton, Michigan product Jon Puskar scored his fourth and fifth goal in four games and Matt Ius added two goals as the Burnaby Express posted a 7-2 victory over the Merritt Centennials on Wednesday night.

Former Centennial Dylan Herold, along with Garrick Perry and Zac Ashdown, also each had a goal and an assist to help the Express remain undefeated in the regular season with a 3-0-0-1 record.

After the Cents opened the scoring on a Dustin Johnson goal at 10:22 of the first period, Burnaby popped four goals in the second period on Merritt goaltender Spencer Bacon, who was making his first career BCHL start.

Bacon was pulled to start the third period as Norbert Biszczak took over in his first action since opening night on September 11. Biszczak allowed three goals on 13 shots before Johnson rounded out the scoring with his second of the game at the 12:59 mark of the third period. Former Cents goaltender Harrison May made 36 saves for Burnaby in earning second star honours.

Merritt wound up the game 1-for-6 on the power play while the Express finished 1-for-2. Shots on goal were 40-38 in favour of Burnaby.

Thomas Hardy, who was acquired by the Centennials during the off-season from the Express, has quit the team and there’s no word whether or not he’ll return to Merritt. Colton Sobchak sat out the game for the Cents as he recovers from a shoulder injury while goaltender Cole Holowenko was a healthy scratch. Gary Rai remains out of the lineup due to personal reasons.

The Centennials play their first road game Friday night as they head to Powell River to take on the Kings. They’ll have a return match-up with Burnaby Saturday night at the Bill Copeland Arena. Both road games will be available in Merritt on Q101-FM.

———
I had the chance to talk to Cents coach Dylan Forsythe after the game:

Cents Head Coach/Assistant GM Dylan Forsythe
http://www.odeo.com/flash/audio_player_standard_gray.swf
Click here to download

All audio property of Merritt Broadcasting Ltd.
———
As mentioned during the game recap, forward Thomas Hardy has left the Centennials and may not be back. I’ve heard a couple of different reasons for Hardy, who was traded from Burnaby to Merritt during the summer in exchange for RJay Berra, deciding to leave the team. Neither have been confirmed by the Cents, but I’ve heard that Hardy wanted to go back to school on the Lower Mainland or he was unhappy with his icetime and role on the team. Regardless, I feel Hardy can be an impact player in the BCHL and hope that either he comes back to Merritt to continue his career or if he doesn’t want to play here, that the Centennials would be able to get something in return via trade.
———
I am not a fan at all of the two fight rule in some instances. I understand why it’s in place, because you can’t have one player getting into a multiple fight situation, but last night was an example of where it doesn’t work. Jake Baker was instigated into a fight by Rich Manley in the first period and then laid out Garrick Perry with a clean hit in the second period, only to be jumped by Zac Ashdown, who thought the hit was questionable. The end result, Baker gets kicked out of the game for defending himself against Ashdown and the Cents lose one of their top blueliners. Now if goading Baker into fighting was the Express’ game plan, then full credit to them because it worked. I’m just wondering if maybe the two fight rule could be a referee’s discretion…
———
The Centennials did make a trade prior to last night’s game as the junior A rights to defenceman Matt Cumming were dealt to the AJHL’s Grand Prairie Storm. Merritt receives future considerations in the deal, but there’s been no word yet whether the futures are a player or cash. I hope to have more information on the trade later today. Cumming, who’s played the last two seasons in Prince George with the WHL’s Cougars, was a late cut by the Kamloops Blazers this season.
———
I apologize for the video feed cutting out in the third period last night. I noticed it at the end of the game and it was simply a cable that just came unplugged. I’ll be sure to tape the cables together in time for Tuesday’s game against Penticton.

Rai has NOT Requested a Trade:

As someone who works in the media and is a fan of the Centennials, I try to reflect what fans of the team are talking about with this blog. Not all of the info I convey in this space comes directly from the team or its’ management staff, but I like to think that usually my sources are accurate. I’m not in it to hurt anyone or to make up information.

Although I wrote a couple of days ago about Gary Rai requesting a trade from the Cents, it’s been confirmed by Centennials coach Dylan Forsythe that the information is indeed incorrect. Rai has left the team, but I know now for sure that it’s for nothing more than personal reasons. I apologize for any issues my inaccuracy may have caused.

Cents Broadcast Contests & Online Broadcasts:

I just wanted to let all my trusty blog readers that there are a couple of contests we have hooked up on Q101 that are associated with our Cents broadcasts.

First we have the Grand Pub & Grill Power Play contest. Basically you enter your name at the Grand in Merritt and when the Cents get a power play, play-by-play man Alex Grebenyuk will draw a name and if Merritt scores, you’ll win a $20 gift certificate from the Grand. If the Cents don’t score a power play in a game and we don’t have a winner, the $20 prize gets added to the next game. For example, obviously the Cents didn’t score a power play goal on Friday against Prince George, so the prize for Wednesday’s game against Burnaby is $40.

Our second contest is the Han’s Golden Wok Hat Trick contest. Again, you enter your name at Han’s in the Best Western in Merritt and during each Cents broadcast, Alex will draw a name and if a Cents player scores a hat trick in that game, you’ll win a $20 gift certificate from Han’s. The contest works the same as the Power Play contest in that if there’s no winner, the prize continues to grow, meaning that this Wednesday’s prize in the Hat Trick contest is also $40.

I also wanted to mention about the online broadcasts, both video and audio, of the Cents games from here in Merritt. We’ve had our share of issues in getting the broadcasts to work properly in the last year, but I think that FINALLY I’ve gotten everything sorted out. If the broadcast doesn’t work for you, either video or audio, for any of Merritt’s home games, please let me know by emailing me at mornings@Q101.ca. The more info you can give me, the better and I’ll do my best to fix the problem, IF it’s at our end. In the New Year, Q101 hopes to be streaming online with a website, so that should make things easier for fans afar wanting to listen to live Cents hockey.