Sorry about the lack of updates in the last week or so, it’s been a busy time at the Wiebe household and at the radio station. Throw in a weekend away from Merritt for Thanksgiving and you’ve got one serious lack of updates.
It was a roller coaster week for the Cents as they started off with a very decisive 8-3 win over Trail and wrapped up with a 9-1 loss in Penticton. Merritt still holds down the final Interior Conference playoff spot, one point behind Quesnel and four back of Prince George heading into this weekend’s action which features a home and home series against Westside. The Cents definitely hung with the Warriors a couple of weeks back, and in fact even had a 4-2 lead late in the third period before ultimately falling in overtime.
I’m going to try something new for this Friday’s game and we’ll see how it works out.
MERRITT CENTENNIALS vs. WESTSIDE WARRIORS
October 16, 2009 7:00PM at Royal LePage Place
JUST THE FACTS: MERRITT
STANDINGS: 7th in the Interior Conference (3-7-0-1, 6 pts)
LAST TEN: 2-7-0-1
STREAK: Lost 2
GOALS PER GAME: 3.10 (12th)
GOALS ALLOWED PER GAME: 5.70 (17th)
PP%: 27.45% (3rd)
PK%: 68.75% (17th)
JUST THE FACTS: WESTSIDE
STANDINGS: T-3rd in the Interior Conference (8-3-0-0, 16 pts)
LAST TEN: 7-3-0-0
STREAK: Won 3
GOALS PER GAME: 4.50 (T-3rd)
GOALS ALLOWED PER GAME: 2.90 (T-5th)
PP%: 30.43% (1st)
PK%: 86.89% (4th)
TEAM LEADERS: MERRITT
GOALS: Alex Valenti, David Sabey (5)
ASSISTS: Colton Sobchak (8)
POINTS: Colton Sobchak (10)
PIM: Kevin Philp (46)
WINS: Keith Hamilton, Cole Holowenko (1)
GAA: Keith Hamilton (5.31)
TEAM LEADERS: WESTSIDE
GOALS: Trevor Bailey (8)
ASSISTS: Cam Reid (11)
POINTS: Trevor Bailey, Cam Reid (18)
PIM: Joel Woznikoski (43)
WINS: Kevin Jebson (7)
GAA: Kevin Jebson (2.84)
ON A ROLL: MERRITT
Colton Sobchak: 1-7-8 totals in last 5gp
Jordan Soquila: 3-3-6 totals in last 5gp
Alex Valenti: 5-2-7 totals in last 5gp
Andrew Pickering: 1-3-4 totals in last 3gp
ON A ROLL: WESTSIDE
Trevor Bailey: 4-5-9 totals in last 5gp
Cam Reid: 4-4-8 totals in last 4gp
Scott MacDonald: 2-5-7 in last 5gp
Brendan Ellis: 2-7-9 in last 9gp
ICE COLD: MERRITT
Kevin Philp: 0-1-1 totals in last 5gp
Steve Wall: 0-1-1 totals in last 4gp
ICE COLD: WESTSIDE
Kyle Singleton: 1-0-1 totals in last 4gp
Quinn Gould: 1-0-1 totals in last 5gp
RECENT/UPCOMING GAMES: MERRITT
10/6/09 vs. Trail 8-3 WIN
10/9/09 vs. Alberni Valley 9-3 LOSS
10/10/09 @ Penticton 9-1 LOSS
10/17/09 vs. Westside
10/21/09 @ Vernon
RECENT/UPCOMING GAMES: WESTSIDE
10/4/09 vs. Merritt 5-4 WIN (OT)
10/9/09 vs. Prince George 4-3 WIN (OT)
10/11/09 vs. Cowichan Valley 6-1 WIN
10/17/09 @ Merritt
10/21/09 @ Surrey
10/04/09 Merritt 4 @ Westside 5 (OT)
* The Cents are 2-15-0-3 all time against Westside, with a 0-7-0-2 record at home, and a 2-8-0-1 on the road during that span.
* Merritt was 0-6 against the Warriors in 2008-09, including a blown 5-1 lead in a 7-5 loss at Royal LePage Place on September 18, 2009.
* The Centennials are on a nine game winless skid (0-8-0-1) against the Warriors.
* The last time Merritt defeated Westside was on November 23, 2007. Scott Jow scored the winner and Erick Ruud and Chad Gehon each had four points for the Centennials. Shane Mainprize made 50 saves in goal for Merritt.
* The Warriors have shutout the Cents three times: 9-0 in Westside on January 16, 2009, 1-0 in Merritt on September 26, 2008 and 10-0 in Westside on February 19, 2008.
THE TIES THAT BIND
* On January 10, 2009, the Centennials and Warriors made the only trade ever between the two teams. Merritt sent forward Chad Gehon (88) (who the Cents picked up earlier from Trail) to Westside for forward Matt Betker (90) and future considerations. The futures were completed in the summer, which turned out to be defenceman Tyler Miller (91).
* The Cents have four players on their roster from the Kelowna area, forwards Colton Sobchak, David Sabey and Joey McEwan, and goaltender Keith Hamilton, who will get the start against the Warriors. Merritt also has forward Dustin Johnson, goaltender Cole Holowenko and defenceman Kameran Crawford, who all are from Penticton, which is just 40 minutes down Highway 97 from West Kelowna.
I had the chance to talk to Cents head coach Dylan Forsythe prior to Friday’s game in West Kelowna.
Cents Head Coach Dylan Forsythe
Click here to download
All audio property of Merritt Broadcasting Ltd.