Month: June 2011

Tim Kehler Resigns from Salmon Arm Silverbacks:

The Silverbacks will have their third new coach in three seasons this September following today’s resignation of Tim Kehler after one season.

Here’s the release from the Backs website:

Tim Kehler has announced today that he is leaving the Salmon Arm SilverBacks Organization to pursue other coaching opportunities. We would like to thank him for his contribution to the organization this past season and wish him the best of luck in his future endeavours.

Speculation is that the recent trade between Salmon Arm and Kindersley was signed off by Silverbacks owner Randy Williams and had little to do with Kehler at all. No word as to whether that’s the reason for Tim’s resignation.

Creston Valley Advance Features Cents Assistant Coach Joe Martin’s Move to BCHL:

Creston Valley Thunder Cats lose coach to BCHL

The departure of former head coach and general manager Joe Martin of the Creston Valley Thunder Cats is now part of local hockey history and the hiring of Brent Heaven as the new head coach and general manager starts a new era.

“It is sad to see Joe go, but Brent will be an awesome addition to continue where Joe left off and take our club in a new direction,” said president Joanne Endicott. “We are looking forward to the team that Brent will build and develop.”

This season was one of the most exciting in Thunder Cats’ recent history, with the team pushing Kootenay International Junior Hockey League rival Fernie Ghostriders to a seventh game in round 2, losing the final by one goal.

“It was the best team that I can ever remember,” said Endicott.

Martin is the second Creston Valley Thunder Cats coach to get a coaching job in the British Columbia Hockey Leauge coaching junior A, accepting the position of assistant coach and assistant general manager with the Merritt Centennials . (The other was Shane Luckinchuk going on to coach in the BCHL with the Powell River Kings.) His contract expired at the end this season, and after lengthy negotiations, he signed on for another two years, but it only lasted for a few days.

“It was totally unexpected, but I got a call offering this position and it is a terrific opportunity for me,” said Martin.

Over the past four years, the Cats under Martin have won a regular season division title, the first round of two playoff series, travelled to the Yukon and moved 10 players on to college hockey and 10 players on to junior A hockey, while boasting a regular season record of 112-68-24.

“There are so many good memories for me in Creston — just being able to go to the rink everyday is a huge highlight — taking part in community events, bus trips with the best staff in the KIJHL, and the knowledge that every day we are trying to develop young men into great citizens of life,” said Martin. “Leaving Creston was a difficult decision that we did not prepare for. Katelyn and I are proud to have lived in the community for four years.”

“It speaks volumes about Joe when players at the end of last season only want to come back if Joe was signed,” said Endicott. “He had such deep respect from the boys that it is very sad to see him leave us, but we are so happy that he gets this opportunity. Joe not only was a great coach, but a great mentor to the players on a personal level.”

One of Martin’s last official acts as general manager was to be part of finding his replacement, and he brought Heaven to the forefront for the club.

“From day one, Joe said that Brent was our guy,” Endicott said. “It’s rare that when you leave a job that your employer requests you help find your replacement, but that is how much respect our executive committee has for Joe, as we knew he would find us the best person he could.”

Martin starts his new job later this summer in Merritt.

“I would like to thank all the Thunder Cat supporters and volunteers who helped put the Thunder Cats on the map,” he said. “I hope a championship is in the near future.”

Salmon Arm-Kindersley Trade:

The Salmon Arm Silverbacks and Kindersley Klippers of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League have hooked up on a pretty big trade.

Here are the details from SJHL.ca:

The Kindersley Klippers have made a 3 for 1 trade with the BCHL’s Salmon Arm Silverbacks. Kindersley sends homegrown product Sean Flanagan to the Silverbacks for 20 year old forward Jarryd Ten Vaanholt (1991-West Vancouver, BC), 19 year old forward Josh McKissock (1992-Vancouver, BC) and 19 year old defenceman Justin Elliott (1992-Vancouver, BC).

Ten Vaanholt had 50 points in 58 games for the Silverbacks last season while McKissock and Elliott played sparingly getting five and two points respectively.

In Flanagan, the Klippers give up one of the best 1991 born defencemen in the SJHL. He had 30 points in 52 games and was a member of the Canada West team that played at the World Under 18 Challenge.

Here’s the breakdown on the deal:

To Salmon Arm:
D Sean Flanagan (92)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=54200
To Kindersley:
F Jarryd Ten Vaanholt (91)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=47724
F Josh McKissock (92)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=48215
D Justin Elliott (92)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=46048

Cents Abbotsford Spring Camp Update:

The Centennials second evaluation camp of the off-season is this weekend in Abbotsford. I talked with Cents Head Coach & GM Luke Pierce about the camp earlier this week:

Here are the players taking part this weekend:

Team White

Forwards
Scotty Patterson
2011-12 age: 18
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=102281
Ryan Leggett
2011-12 age: 16
Coquitlam Chiefs (CMHA AAA midget)

Bryan Read
2011-12 age: 18
Alberni Valley Bulldogs (AVMHA AAA midget)

Chris Vinette
2011-12 age: 19
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=48425
Matt Martin
2011-12 age: 18
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=128097
Sidney Harper
2011-12 age: 15
Burnaby Winter Club (BWC AAA midget)

Connor Bowen
2011-12 age: 17
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=92506
Brett Harris
2011-12 age: 16
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=84611
Austin Ferguson
2011-12 age: 16
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=102246
Brady Mende
2011-12 age: 16
Winfield Bruins (WMHA Tier 3 Midget)

Michael Scobie
2011-12 age: 18
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=59957
Joel Gaudet
2011-12 age: 17
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=128103

Defense
Dakota Klassen
2011-12 age: 17
Mission Sasquatch (MMHA Midget AAA)

Simon Horlick
2011-12 age: 18
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=59943
Jason Anderson
2011-12 age: 16
Aldergrove Bruins (AMHA Midget AAA)

Mike Little
2011-12 age: 17
New West Midget Tier 2 (NWMHA Midget 2)

Andrew Hodder
2011-12 age: 18
Houston Flyers (HMHA Midget)

Goaltenders
Nick Taylor
2011-12 age: 19
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=97102

Sky Buller
2011-12 age: 19
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=127311

Team Black
Forwards
Adam Rossi
2011-12 age: 19
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=128007
Danny Wilson
2011-12 age: 17
Langley Eagles (LMHA Midget A2)

Jeff Wight
2011-12 age: 16
Coquitlam Chiefs (CMHA Midget AAA)

Cameron Anderson
2011-12 age: 19
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=123827
Rhett Willcox
2011-12 age: 15
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=120968
Devon Elford
2011-12 age: 17
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=102463
Kenny Prato
2011-12 age: 18
Langley Eagles (LMHA Midget AAA)

Matt Cox
2011-12 age: 16
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=102203
Travis Oddy
2011-12 age: 18
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=92508
Steven Pantazopoulos
2011-12 age: 19
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=127275
Cory Ruck
2011-12 age: 17
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=92496
Trevor Forward
2011-12 age: 17
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=130678

Defense
Ross Mancuso
2011-12 age: 19
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=126557
Zach Landon
2011-12 age: 16
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=121615
Jonathan Webber
2011-12 age: 18
Cloverdale Midgets (CMHA Midget A1)

Eric Roberts
2011-12 age: 16
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=102251
Evan Diamantopoulos
2011-12 age: 16
Semiahmoo Midgets (SMHA Midget)

Goaltenders
Jordan Liem
2011-12 age: 18
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=64870
Griffin Baillie
2011-12 age: 15
Merritt Jr. Centennials (MMHA Bantam AAA)

Nicholas Clark
2011-12 age: 17
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=125671

Team Blue

Forwards
Karl Schopf
2011-12 age: 19
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=128100
Braeden Monk
2011-12 age: 18
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=59937
Landon Matechuk
2011-12 age: 16
Langley Eagles (LMHA Midget AA)

Kolton Grieve
2011-12 age: 17
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=92504
Thanvir Bandesha
2011-12 age: 17
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=128288
Marco Ballarin
2011-12 age: 16
New West Midget Tier 2 (NWMHA Midgets)

Nolan Kinney
2011-12 age: 17
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=59588
Michael Pond
2011-12 age: 18
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=127284
Brandon Formosa
2011-12 age: 18
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=47170
Tyler Hall
2011-12 age: 17
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=127329
Nathan Sharpe
2011-12 age: 18
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=92495
Justin Woodroff
2011-12 age: 18
Chilliwack Jr. Bruins (CMHA Midgets)

Defense
David Rudin
2011-12 age: 17
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=128124
Ryan Rushton
2011-12 age: 19
Port McNeill Ice Devils (Men’s Commercial Hockey League)

Ryan Parmar
2011-12 age: 18
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=128101
Kyle Hazelwood
2011-12 age: 15
Chillwack Jr. Bruins (CMHA Bantam AAA)

Nico Ballarin
2011-12 age: 17
New West Midget Tier 2 (NWMHA Midgets)

Goaltenders
Braeden Krogfoss
2011-12 age: 16
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=87839
Tyler Krogfoss
2011-12 age: 18
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=96200

Team Grey

Forwards
Kevin Boyce
2011-12 age: 19
Grandview Steelers (PIJHL Jr. B)

Brandon Livingstone
2011-12 age: 17
Cloverdale Midget AAA (CMHA Midgets)

Robert Izsak
2011-12 age: 19
Campbell River Storm (VIJHL Jr. B)

Matthew Bissett
2011-12 age: 17
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=59950
Jacob Stanley Taylor
2011-12 age: 16
Langley Eagles (LMHA Midget AAA)

Brenden Heinrich
2011-12 age: 17
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=102375
Michael Roberts
2011-12 age: 16
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=125331
Brandon Ned
2011-12 age: 18
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=92530
Danton Heinen
2011-12 age: 16
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=105821
Robbie Christensen
2011-12 age: 18
Dallas Ice Jets (TAHA Tier I U18)

Carson Spooner
2011-12 age: 17
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=111019
Dylan Lynum
2011-12 age: 18
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=128160

Defense
Braeden Hikichi
2011-12 age: 19
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=97781
Dominic Centis
2011-12 age: 18
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=102469
Julian Davis
2011-12 age: 17
Vancouver Thunderbirds (VTBMHA Midget AAA)

Austen Bietenbeck
2011-12 age: 16
Langley Eagles (LMHA Midget AA)

Tyler Martin
2011-12 age: 18
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=59962
Jason Lee
2011-12 age: 16
Port Coquitlam Pirates (PCMHA Pirates A2)

Goaltenders
Tate Sproxton
2011-12 age: 16
Cloverdale Midget AA (CMHA Midgets)

Ryan Waldhaus
2011-12 age: 18
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=59910

Team Red

Forwards
Zach Sanderson
2011-12 age: 15
Merritt Jr. Centennials (MMHA Bantams)

Michael Bell
2011-12 age: 16
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=101586
Kyle Jangula
2011-12 age: 17
Cloverdale Midget AA (CMHA Midgets)

Sean Lan
2011-12 age: 18
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=102276
Robert Johnson
2011-12 age: 17
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=102460
Greg Bamford
2011-12 age: 17
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=92532
Hayden Mowbray
2011-12 age: 17
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=102208
Ryland Davidson
2011-12 age: 17
New West Midget Tier 2 (NWMHA Midgets)

Kurt Thrussell
2011-12 age: 16
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=102193
Scott Mackey
2011-12 age: 19
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=93576
Brendan Lamont
2011-12 age: 17
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=128276
Josh Gray
2011-12 age: 19
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=126559

Defense
Robert Jang
2011-12 age: 18
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=128282
Trevor Leblanc
2011-12 age: 19
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=126385
Brandon West
2011-12 age: 18
Houston Flyers (HMHA Midget)

Matthew Denton
2011-12 age: 18
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=128158
Anthony Gardner
2011-12 age: 16
Langley Eagles (LMHA Midget AA)

Goaltenders
Phoenix Logan-Hill
2011-12 age: 17
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=102389
Jared Knott
2011-12 age: 19
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=113143
Russell Sanderson
2011-12 age: 17
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=94966

Cents Players Featured on WHL Protected Lists:

The Small Thoughts at Large blog has done a great job at compiling a summary of listed prospects for WHL clubs. There are some Centennials on the list…

Calgary Hitmen
Tyler Steel — Acquired: listed player
Goaltender, 6’2″, 175 lb, 2011-12 age: 18
Merritt Centennials (BCHL Jr A) 30 3.49 7 16 0 0.889
Merritt Centennials (BCHL Jr A – PLF) 3 4.96 0 1 0 0.878

Everett Silvertips
Kieran Friesen — Acquired: listed player
Defense, 6’1″, 190 lb, 2011-12 age: 19
Princeton Posse (KIJHL Jr B) 24 2 5 7 54
Merritt Centennials (BCHL Jr A) 1 0 0 0 0
Everett Silvertips (WHL) 25 0 0 0 12
Everett Silvertips (WHL – PLF) 3 0 0 0 0

Portland Winterhawks
Dylan Chanter — Acquired: listed player
Defense, 6’1″, 185 lb, 2011-12 age: 16
Kelowna Pursuit of Excellence (BCAHA AAA midget) 59 4 18 22 38
Kelowna Pursuit of Excellence (CSSHL Prep) 14 0 4 4 2
North Okanagan Knights (KIJHL Jr B – PLF) 1 0 0 0 0

Reece Willcox — Acquired: 2009 3rd round bantam pick
Defense, 6’2″, 185 lb, 2011-12 age: 17
Merritt Centennials (BCHL Jr A) 53 5 9 14 16
Merritt Centennials (BCHL Jr A – PLF) 4 1 2 3 0

Victoria Royals
Jakob Reichert — Acquired: listed player
Center, 6’4″, 230 lb, 2011-12 age: 18
Merritt Centennials (BCHL Jr A) 33 7 11 18 45
Merritt Centennials (BCHL Jr A – PLF) 4 0 0 0 2

Cents Head Coach & GM Luke Pierce Featured in BCHL Off-Season Newsletter:

This was sent out yesterday by BCHL Communications Director Brent Mutis…

Cents hit Lower Mainland in search of young talent at Abbotsford spring camp

The weather may (finally) be making a turn for the better but the Merritt Centennials are putting things back on ice this weekend in Abbotsford.

It’s the Cents second spring camp and it runs from Friday to Sunday. The team held their first camp in April at their home rink. Merritt has held Lower Mainland spring camps in years past, but this one is the first for head coach Luke Pierce, who is hoping to find some key pieces at the completely-full event.

“We’re happy with the group that’s coming in; we’ve got 90 kids,” said Pierce, adding most are 1994-, 1995- and 1996-born players. “We’re hoping to fill some holes. It’s a younger camp than the one we had in Merritt… but at least a handful can make our team this year.”

The popularity of the Cents Abbotsford camp speaks to the direction the club is headed in. For Pierce, one of the youngest coaches in the BCHL at 27, it’s a good sign.

“We felt there was a lot of demand for these camps,” he said. “We got a look at the Okanagan kids in Merritt so we’re doing the same in the Lower Mainland now.”