Cents Head Coach & GM Luke Pierce Featured in BCHL Off-Season Newsletter:

This was sent out yesterday by BCHL Communications Director Brent Mutis…

Cents hit Lower Mainland in search of young talent at Abbotsford spring camp

The weather may (finally) be making a turn for the better but the Merritt Centennials are putting things back on ice this weekend in Abbotsford.

It’s the Cents second spring camp and it runs from Friday to Sunday. The team held their first camp in April at their home rink. Merritt has held Lower Mainland spring camps in years past, but this one is the first for head coach Luke Pierce, who is hoping to find some key pieces at the completely-full event.

“We’re happy with the group that’s coming in; we’ve got 90 kids,” said Pierce, adding most are 1994-, 1995- and 1996-born players. “We’re hoping to fill some holes. It’s a younger camp than the one we had in Merritt… but at least a handful can make our team this year.”

The popularity of the Cents Abbotsford camp speaks to the direction the club is headed in. For Pierce, one of the youngest coaches in the BCHL at 27, it’s a good sign.

“We felt there was a lot of demand for these camps,” he said. “We got a look at the Okanagan kids in Merritt so we’re doing the same in the Lower Mainland now.”