FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 18, 2011 – Burnaby, BC
The British Columbia Hockey League is pleased to reveal its schedule for the 2011-12 season which will be the 50th in league history.
After a great deal of effort by the league office and feedback from league coaches and general managers, the entire schedule is now available on the league website at http://www.bchl.ca
“I’d like to acknowledge the work done by our executive director Dave Sales on this season’s schedule,” said BCHL commissioner John Grisdale. “It’s an unenviable task and a huge job that Dave took on but I believe he’s come up with a schedule that works in everyone’s best interest.”
A focus was placed on Friday and Saturday evening games, also known as “prime nights”, and significant increases were made in that area compared to last season.
Of the 480 games scheduled, 67 per cent will take place on prime nights. With Sundays included, 83 per cent of games will be prime or Sunday starts leaving only 17 per cent of games scheduled for midweek.
“Hockey fans always eagerly anticipate the release of the schedule so we’re happy to let fans, scouts, the media and our players see what’s in store for the year ahead,” said Sales. “By handling the league schedule internally this year, we’ve boosted the number of weekend starts and hope that allows greater access to games for anyone following the BCHL.”
The puck drops on the upcoming campaign on Friday, Sept. 23 with 14 teams in action. All teams hit the ice the following night with eight games on the slate.
The schedule has a nine-day break at Christmas and concludes on Sunday, March 11, 2012 with three games scheduled.