Former Centennials Defenceman Jeff Zmurchyk Named Assistant Coach for KIJHL’s Fernie Ghostriders:

(Jeff Zmurchyk with the Centennials during the 2010-11 season)

Former Cents defenceman Jeff Zmurchyk has retired from hockey after winding up his junior eligibility with his hometown Fernie Ghostriders last season, and now he’s been hired as an assistant coach for the team.

Zmurchyk, who played 70 games in a Centennials uniform, left Merritt last October to return to Fernie.

Jeff Zmurchyk
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=46743
Here’s the release from the Ghostriders website:

The Fernie Ghostriders are pleased to announce the hiring of Jeff Zmurchyk to our hockey staff. Jeff, a former Ghostrider defenseman, played 4 years of Junior hockey including time in Fernie, Merritt and Trail (BCHL). In 2007-2008 Jeff was a key contributor in helping your Riders win the KIJHL championship and a Bronze medal win at the Cyclone Taylor Cup provincial championship.

During the 2010-2011 season, Jeff returned home from the Merritt Centennials and became one of our club’s leaders on and off the ice helping the club receive the Silver Medal at the provincial championships. Jeff will be very busy this season as he will be attending Fire Fighting School in Cranbrook during the day and working with our hockey club during the evenings and on weekends. We are really excited to add a person familiar with our program to our staff. Jeff’s primary responsibilities will be to work with our defense. He will also spend time helping our players off the ice teaching them what it takes to be physically ready for the next level of hockey. Jeff worked extremely hard to make it from minor hockey to Junior to the BCHL and he will work with our players to help them understand what it takes move to the BCHL.