Month: July 2012

Alberni Valley Bulldogs Release Kalashnikov Brothers:

I don’t know exactly what this means, but my initial thought is that any team that is willing to renew the transfer agreement with the Belarusian Ice Hockey Association is able to sign the Kalashnikov brothers to a Hockey Canada player card. The Bulldogs put this out yesterday:

Bulldogs Release Kalashnikovs

PRESS RELEASE

July 27, 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs announced today that the club has opted not to renew the player transfer agreement with the Belarusian Ice Hockey Association for Arty and Yan Kalashnikov for the 2012-13 season.

The organization would like to thank Arty and Yan for the contributions they made to the organization this past season.

F Artsiom Kalashnikov (93)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=126596
F Yan Kalashnikov (92)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=70445

Victoria Grizzlies Name Zach Urban Team Captain for 2012-13:

This is posted on Victoria’s website:
July 26, 2012 Victoria Grizzlies –
The Victoria Grizzlies Hockey Club is pleased to announce that veteran BCHL and RBC Champion Zach Urban has been named Team Captain for the 2012 -2013 season.
General Manager and Head Coach Bill Bestwick today introduced Urban to the community and Victoria media at an event at the Grizzlies’ Bear Mountain Arena.
“The appointment of a Captain is one of the most important decisions we will make. Zach is a perfect fit and his experience, winning attitude, work ethic and knowing what it takes to win makes him a natural,” said Bestwick.
Urban is entering his third season of BCHL competition and was a defensive stalwart on the blue line for the BCHL record-setting Penticton Vees. Last season, he played in 58 regular season games and every game of the playoffs, contributing four goals and 18 assists, with 88 penalty
minutes.
The 19-year-old Kelowna native measures in at 6’ 3″ and 205 lbs, and is described as a ‘fearless competitor’ with a ‘team first’ approach to the game. Urban will be heavily counted on for his leadership on and off the ice and looks forward to getting started.
“I am very honoured to be chosen to captain this team and play in a Grizzlies uniform. I am excited for the challenge to lead this hockey club on and off the ice,” said Urban. “Zach is a champion. He is a character player, hard nosed and gritty. I am certain his work ethic and expectations will positively influence his teammates and make him a fan favorite,” added Bestwick.
The Victoria Grizzlies Hockey Club remains extremely active in the off-season under its new ownership group. A number of recent player transactions bring added depth, quality and experience to the line up:
• National champion D.J. Jones joins the Grizzlies from Penticton in a trade that sees Alex Holland head to the Vees. The 20-year-old defenceman joins his former teammate Zach Urban in Victoria to bolster the Grizzlies strength on the blue line.
• Forward Brett Hartskamp has been acquired from the Swan Valley Stampeders Hockey Club of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League. Hartskamp played for Grizzlies Coach Bill Bestwick in Nanaimo before being moved to the MJHL last season. The veteran BCHL forward will add experience to the young Grizzlies offence.
• Turner Lawson comes to Victoria from the Vernon Vipers. Lawson was the future player to be named in the deal that saw former Grizzlies Sean Robertson head to Vernon midseason. The 19-year-old is a versatile forward who is expected to make a strong mark up front this season.
• Goaltender Brady Rouleau and forward Garrett Skrbich join the Grizzlies in a multi-player deal with the Westside Warriors announced earlier in July. Rouleau, 6’1” and 175 lbs., is an impressive starting goaltender who was a standout for the Cowichan Valley Capitals last season. Skrbich enters his second season in the BCHL, with good experience and offensive capacity. Skrbich is already committed to Princeton of the NCAA for 2013 and will be counted on to raise the competition level and depth of the forward position.
Fans will get their first opportunity to see the new Victoria Grizzlies in action when Training Camp gets underway August 20 at Bear Mountain Arena. The Grizzlies first exhibition game is scheduled for August 24 at home against the Cowichan Valley Capitals.
For information on season ticket packages and exhibition game tickets, visit http://www.victoriagrizzlies.com or call 250-385-1555.

Surrey Eagles Add Brendan Batchelor as Director of Media Relations & Play-By-Play Announcer:

This is posted on the Surrey Eagles website:

The Surrey Eagles are very pleased to announce the hiring of Brendan Batchelor as the team’s Director of Media Relations and play-by-play broadcaster for the coming season.

A native of Coquitlam, Batchelor was a minor hockey player and official throughout his childhood. After graduating from high school, he attended the British Columbia Institute of Technology, graduating with distinction from the Broadcast and Media Communications – Broadcast Journalism program. He spent the last three seasons as the public address announcer for the Coquitlam Express and currently works as an announcer and reporter at TEAM Radio Vancouver. He will continue his duties at the radio station in addition to his new role with the Eagles.

“This is a very exciting opportunity for me,” said Batchelor. “I’m thrilled to be joining an organization that has a reputation for excelling both on and off the ice, and I can’t wait for the season to begin.”

Batchelor replaces Colin Tiggelaar who left the Eagles at the conclusion of the 2011-2012 season.

Make sure to get your 2012-2013 Surrey Eagles season tickets and guarantee the best seats to watch exciting Junior A hockey.  Visit www.surreyeagles.ca or call 604-531-GOAL (4325) for more details.

Powell River Kings Forward Steven Schmidt Commits to Queen’s University:

This is posted on Powell River’s website:

Powell River, BCJuly 23, 2012 – The Kings are proud to announce that Steven Schmidt has committed to Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario. Steven will be wearing the CIS’s Golden Gael jersey in September of 2012.

Hailing from Campbell River, Steven first made an impact during the Kings’ playoff run in 2009-2010 and was a vital leader on the ice ever since tallying 53 points over 2 regular seasons and 15 points over 3 playoff runs. Wearing number 18, Steven Schmidt played with grit and was recognized for his pursuit of the puck, persistent fore checking, and being a smart and reliable player in all zones.

Kings’ head coach and general manager Kent Lewis is proud of Schmidt saying, “Steven is going to one of the top schools in the country. We are pleased that he secured a spot in Queen’s and are confident he will thrive there both on the ice and academically. Steven has a great character and is sure to go on to find great success through this next endeavor.”

Steven chose to pursue his post-secondary career at Queen’s University because of its strong academic stature. While pursuing his first year in sciences and then deciding which faculty to pursue from there, Steven looks forward to the opportunity of being able to contribute to the Queens hockey program. He will also be joining teammate Brendon MacDonald who secured a spot on the Gael’s squad earlier this summer.

The Campbell River native loved his time in Powell River. “The enthusiasm of the coaches as well as the improvement of the program over the past few years has been incredible. The Kings really helped me get in touch with the Queen’s program and also assisted in promoting the skills I have that may not be noticeable at first glance. To the future Kings, always strive to become a better player even when you feel you have reached your peak.”

Fans can read further information on the Queen’s University Gaels’ hockey program by visiting their website by clicking on this link.

Congratulations Steven on this great achievement and all the best in these future endeavors!

F Steven Schmidt (91) http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=47146

Nanaimo Clippers Sign Forward Steve Hladin:

This is posted on Nanaimo’s website:

The Nanaimo Clippers are pleased to announce the commitment of Steve Hladin.

Steve is an 18 year old Forward who played for the Vaughan Vipers of the OJHL last season.  As a first year player last season he had 14 goals and 25 assists for 39 points in 42 games.  He is 6’0” 175lbs and is from Mississauga, Ontario.

At the end of the 2011-2012 season the Vaughan Vipers team folded which allowed all of their players to become free agents.  Steve was offered a contract to play Major Junior this season but has opted to join the Clippers and pursue an NCAA Scholarship.

Coach Vandekamp had this to say when asked about the addition of Steve:

“We are very excited to add Steve to our lineup for the upcoming season.  He had very impressive numbers for a first year Junior ‘A’ player last season and we are looking forward to seeing him develop into a good offensive forward for us this year.  He is a smart player who will bring skill and offensive creativity to our lineup.  I am very familiar with the group that Steve has been training with this off season and I am confident that he has the character and work ethic that we want to build our team around.  The Clippers welcome Steve and his Family to the team and look forward to seeing him here at Main Camp on Aug. 20th.”

F Steve Hladin (94)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=97695

Cowichan Valley Capitals Sign Defenceman Corey Scammon:

This is posted on Cowichan Valley’s website:

For Immediate Release:

The Cowichan Valley Capitals are pleased to announce the addition of Defenseman Corey Scammon for the 2012-13 BCHL Season.

Scammon a 1993 product from Orlando Florida comes to the Caps after two highly productive seasons with the Cushing Academy Penguins including last season where he was team captain.

Cushing coach Rob Gagnon described Scammon as “very elusive and deceptive, with great escapability. He’s the best first passer I’ve had at Cushing, and he’s a point-producing D.”

Scammon has already committed to UMass-Lowell for 2013.

Coquitlam Express Sign Forward Zack Pryzbek:

This is posted on the Express website:

The Express announced the signing of St. Catharines, Ont., native Zack Pryzbek recently, joining former teammates and previously announced Marc Biega and Cal Hofford to the roster for the 2012-13 season.  Pryzbek, an 18-year-old left winger, is eager to bring his game out west and play with his two former teammates. What he’ll bring to the rink is a big, six-foot-three presence along the boards who can bury the puck.

“I’d have to say a power forward who’s not afraid to go to the dirty areas and grind it out,” Pryzbek said when asked to describe his game. “I also play with a mean streak, as well, and play both ends of the ice.” Last season he scored seven times and set up 10 others in 26 games with the prep squad, which came second in the New England championships. He ended up accepting a scholarship to Brown University for 2013-14 – where he’ll join former Express sniper Massimo Lamacchia.

F Zack Pryzbek (94)