Month: August 2012

Alberni Valley-Dauphin Trade:

(Photo credit: K*Photography)

Sorry I’m a couple of days late on getting a blog post up about this, but I Tweeted about it when it happened. The Alberni Valley Bulldogs have eliminated their logjam in the crease by trading 20-year-old goaltender Matt Larose to the Manitoba Junior Hockey League’s Dauphin Kings for future considerations.

The deal hasn’t been posted on the BCHL website and Larose is still on the Bulldogs roster, but the organization confirmed the move on both Twitter and their website.

To Dauphin Kings:
G Matt Larose (92)
To Alberni Valley Bulldogs:
Future Considerations

Here’s the release from the ‘Dogs website:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs would like to announce that the organization has traded the CJHL rights of 92-born goalie Matt Larose to the Dauphin Kings of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League for future considerations.

Larose was acquired in October of last season in a trade that saw him come to the Bulldogs along with 94-born defenseman Daniel Delbianco and the CJHL rights to 93-born defenseman Eric Walker in exchange for 92-born defenseman Tanner Hicks, 93-born defenseman Marley Keca, and 92-born forward Taylor House. Eric Walker started the 2011/12 season with Northern Michigan University in the NCAA before leaving to split last season between the Vancouver Giants and Swift Current Broncos.

The Bulldogs’ hockey operations worked hard over the last two months to find Larose an opportunity where he will have a chance to be a number one goalie in his 20-year-old season after the team aquired 92-born goalie Jay Deo and signed 95-born goalie Brad Rebagliati.

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs would like to wish Matt all the best in the 2012/13 season. Matt has strong character and always conducted himself as a professional.

BCHL Tonight – August 28, 2012

Today’s Scoreboard (Exhibition)

Chilliwack at Coquitlam (at Burnaby Winter Club) 4-5 F

Langley at Merritt  5-5 F

Prince George at Trail (at Art Holding Memorial Arena in Chase) 2-1 F

Vernon at West Kelowna 5-1 F

Nanaimo at Victoria (at Sooke Arena) 1-4 F

Tomorrow’s Schedule

Victoria at Alberni Valley – 7 pm

Merritt at Chilliwack (at Hope & District Rec Centre) – 7 pm

Cowichan Valley at Nanaimo – 7 pm

Coquitlam at Surrey – 7 pm

Prince George at Trail (at Art Holding Memorial Arena in Chase) – 7 pm

Brent Fletcher Named Merritt Centennials Captain for 2012-13:

(Photo credit: Ian Webster – Merritt Centennials)

The Merritt Centennials announced their 2012-13 captain on Saturday, with third year forward Brent Fletcher following in the footsteps of Evan Stack, who wore the ‘C’ in 2011-12.

F Brent Fletcher (92)
Here’s the release from the Cents website:

The Merritt Centennials are pleased to announce their captain for the 2012-13 season. Wearing the “C” for the Cents is third-year BCHL forward Brent Fletcher.

“We are very proud that Brent is the next captain of our team,” said Cents GM & Head Coach Luke Pierce. “He is a natural leader who is highly respected by his teammates and his competitive drive on the ice strongly reflects the identity of our organization while his good-natured character off the ice serves to represent us well in the community.”

“Brent was a big contributor in the playoffs last year which speaks to his ability to raise his game when it means most and we expect that quality will rub off on his teammates,” Pierce added. “The supporting cast of leaders this season will be very strong alongside Brent and we know that will serve as a major strength for our team.”

“I’m honoured to be named captain of the BCHL’s longest continuously-run franchise, especially in the 40th year of the Centennials,” said Fletcher.

Fletcher continued, “I intend to do what ever I can to help this team and city win the RBC Cup in 2013 and we are very excited for the season to begin.”

Fletcher is entering his third full season in the BCHL after joining the Centennials in October 2010. In 105 games, the New Westminster, BC native has posted 11 goals and 17 assists to go along with 58 penalty minutes. In 13 career playoff games, he has three goals and three assists and 18 penalty minutes.

The Centennials 2012-13 alternate captains will be announced at a later date.

New BCHL Rules For 2012-13 Season:

The BCHL Governors approved a number of new rules for 2012-13, outside of the roster rules I posted a few weeks ago.

I was able to get a summary of the rules from the BCHL office and its’ Director of Officiating Derek Adams.

1. No Change Icing

No line change will be permitted for the offending team icing the puck.  The offending team will not be permitted make a line change even if they call their 30 second time out (this includes the Sponsor Time Out).  The non offending team will be permitted to make a line change within the five second time limit allowed during the referee’s normal line change procedure.

2. Puck Shot Out of Bounds

No line change will be permitted for the offending team of a player who shoots the puck directly out of the playing surface over the glass while in his own defensive end zone.  It will be the position of the puck that determines what zone the puck was shot from. For example a player can have his skates in the neutral zone and the puck can be shot from his defensive zone or visa versa.

This rule does not appy if the puck leaves the playing surface after deflecting off another player (attacking or defending) or deflects off the glass or if the puck leaves the playing surface where there is no glass (i.e. into the players’ bench).  If the puck leaves the playing surface at the bench area and clears the glass behind the bench the rule shall apply and no line change shall be permitted.

If a goaltender shoots the puck over the glass it is still an automatic minor penalty for Delay of Game under Rule 10.1(a) of the Hockey Canada Rule Book. In this case the team will be allowed to make a line change because it affects the numerical on-ice strength of that team.

3.  Icing the Puck

This is a new Hockey Canada rule for Junior/Senior hockey relating to the goaltender leaving his crease during an icing. The rule states that if a goaltender leaves his crease to potentially play the puck but then intentionally does not play the puck then the icing is to be waved off. If a goaltender causes significant interference on a player attempting to play the puck on an icing then a minor penalty is to be assessed.

The basic reasoning behind this rule is to prevent a goalie from making an attacking player let up on chasing a puck during an icing because the goalie appears he is going to play the puck, but then lets the puck continue for icing.

It does not mean that a goalie can’t leave his crease or move during an icing, just that he can’t make an attacking player believe he is going to play the puck then still allow the puck to continue over the goal line for an icing call.