Victoria-Cobourg Trade:

The Victoria Grizzlies swung a deal late last week with the Cobourg Cougars of the OJHL that wasn’t announced by the BCHL until just a few days ago.

The trade sees Victoria pick up 19-year-old defenceman Chris Albertini in exchange for 19-year-old F Reid Jackman and future considerations. Since Jackman had requested a trade from the Grizzlies and was suspended for doing so, it’s no surprise that this move came down. However, since the trade, Jackman hasn’t appeared in any games for the Cougars and nor is he on their roster, so I’m not sure where he ended up.
Albertini hasn’t played junior A hockey since the 2010-11 season after spending a season and a half with the OHL’s Plymouth Whalers. He didn’t play any games with Cobourg prior to the trade as he was still with Plymouth.

What is strange to me is that Albertini made his Victoria debut last Friday (as the Grizzlies were Tweeting about his first game), yet he didn’t appear on the Grizzlies roster (their reserve roster at that) until just a day or two ago.

I don’t know if it’s possible for a player to play a game for Victoria without being on the official roster or if Albertini just needed to be signed by the Grizzlies to a Hockey Canada player card and then he was eligibile to play.

To Victoria Grizzlies:
D Chris Albertini (93)
To Cobourg Cougars:
F Reid Jackman (93)
+ Future Considerations
Neither team has confirmed the deal on their websites, but the Grizzlies blog mentioned it and it’s now included under ‘Transactions‘ at BCHL.ca.