Month: December 2012

Penticton-Langley Trade:

The Penticton Vees added a significant piece to their blueline in acquiring 20-year-old defenceman Thomas Nitsche from the Langley Rivermen for future considerations.

The move now gives Penticton a ton of experience on defence, with four blueliners in their final year of junior hockey as 1992-born players, while Troy Stecher and James De Haas could both be considered veterans at 18-years-old. The Vees defence corps should be the envy of the BCHL.

To Penticton Vees:

Future Considerations

Here’s the release from the Vees website:

The Penticton Vees Jr. ‘A’ Hockey Club has acquired defenseman Thomas Nitsche (92) from the Langley for future considerations.

Vees Head Coach & GM Fred Harbinson says Nitsche is the type of player needed to win games when they matter,“As we get ready for the stretch drive we realize that our division once again will be battle every night to get through. Thomas brings a veteran physical presence that you cannot have enough of come playoff time.”

Nitsche, 20, was in his second season with the Rivermen and his first as Langley’s captain. In 27 games, Nitsche tallied one goal and seven points to go along with 45 penalty-minutes. In 82 career games with the Rivermen, the Charlotte, North Carolina native has amassed five goals and 26 points. Nitsche is known more for his play without the puck, as the stay-at-home defenseman brings size to the Vees blue-line, standing at 6’3 and weighing in at 203 pounds.

Prior to joining the Langley Rivermen, Nitsche spent one season of Midget hockey with the Dallas Jets Under-18 program and before that came up through the Charlotte Jr. Checkers minor hockey program.

Nitsche is committed to Colgate University Raiders for next fall and will make his Vees debut tonight when they face the West Kelowna Warriors; Nitsche will wear number three.

The Vees now have five 20 year-olds on their roster after the trade, one under the BCHL maximum of six.
The Vees would also like to welcome Thomas to the organization and the South Okanagan.

BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1)
Trades Made: 10
Trades Made Within BCHL: 6
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 4
Players: 11
Future Considerations: 9

Langley-Surrey Trade:

With the acquisition of Troy Paterson from Cowichan Valley, Surrey needed to make room on its roster for a defenceman and as a result, swung a trade with the rival Langley Rivermen.

The move sees the Eagles send 17-year-old defenceman Austen Bietenbeck and future considerations to the Rivermen for future considerations.

To Langley Rivermen:
D Austen Bietenbeck (95)http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=153249 + Future Considerations

To Surrey Eagles:
Future Considerations

Here’s the release from the Eagles website:

The Surrey Eagles Hockey Club announced on Saturday that the team has acquired defenseman Troy Paterson (92) from the Cowichan Valley Capitals and traded defenseman Austen Bietenbeck (95) to the Langley Rivermen.

Paterson is a Surrey native in his third full season in the BCHL. The 20-year-old has posted four goals and nine assists in 27 games with the Capitals this year. Paterson becomes the seventh player on the Eagles to hail from either Surrey or White Rock.

Bietenbeck is in his rookie season in the BCHL. The 17-year-old played 20 games for the Eagles, tallying one assist. A Langley native, Bietenbeck will now have the opportunity to join his home town team.

“We think Austen has a great future ahead of him, but we felt we needed to get a little more experience on our roster,” said Eagles Head Coach and General Manager Matt Erhart. “We think that we get that veteran experience with Troy, but in order to add that to our team, we had to give up a quality young player.”

The Eagles would like to thank Bietenbeck for his time spent in the organization and wish him all the best in the future.
The Rivermen haven’t posted a media release on the trade, but play-by-play man Brandon Astle had this to say on his blog:
The team acquired Austen Bietenbeck from the Surrey Eagles for future considerations.
Bietenbeck is from Langley and is a 17-year-old defenseman. He appeared in 20 games for the Eagles this season and has one assist. He is big at 6’3″, 198 pounds and is still growing. The Rivermen feel he has a great future ahead of him and are very happy to have the hometown kid in their organization.

BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1)
Trades Made: 9
Trades Made Within BCHL: 5
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 4
Players: 10
Future Considerations: 8

Cowichan Valley-Penticton Trade:

Cowichan Valley got younger on the blueline with the trading today of 20-year-old Troy Paterson to Surrey and the acquisition of 17-year-old Nathan Deyell from Penticton.

For Deyell, it’s a return to Vancouver Island after playing last season with the VIJHL’s Oceanside Generals and five games as an AP with the Nanaimo Clippers.

To Cowichan Valley Capitals:
D Nathan Deyell (95)http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=128085To Penticton Vees:
Future Considerations

Here’s the release from the Capitals website:

Head Coach Jim Ingram was busy following the Christmas break, with several players being moved today.

Coming into town are defenseman Nathan Deyell (95) and goaltender Patrick Spano (93). Patrick comes from the Youngstown Phantoms of the USHL, while Nathan comes to the Capitals from the Penticton Vees. Both players arrive in exchange for future considerations.

And from the Vees website:

The Vees sent rookie defenseman Nathan Deyell (95) to the Cowichan Valley Capitals for future considerations.

Deyell, 17, was in his first season in the BCHL and with the Vees. The Vancouver native was held pointless in 22 games this season playing in a depth roll on the Vees blue-line.  Prior to Penticton, Deyell played with the Oceanside Generals of the Vancouver Island Junior Hockey League (VIJHL), where he picked up three goals and 14 points in 38 games in 2011-2012.

The Vees organization would like to thank Nathan for his contributions to the team and wish him all the best in his future with the Cowichan Valley Capitals.

BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1)
Trades Made: 8
Trades Made Within BCHL: 4
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 4
Players: 9
Future Considerations: 7

Surrey-Cowichan Valley Trade:

As part of a day that saw them make four transactions, Cowichan Valley moved 20-year-old defenceman Troy Paterson to Surrey for future considerations.

For Paterson, he joins his hometown team, while for the Capitals, they look like they’ve firmly got their eye on the future after trading both Paterson and Derek Dun.

To Surrey Eagles:
D Troy Paterson (92)http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=47847To Cowichan Valley Capitals:
Future Considerations

Here’s the release from the Capitals website:

Head Coach Jim Ingram was busy following the Christmas break, with several players being moved today.

Headed out of town, Derek Dun (93) goes to the Nanaimo Clippers in exchange for future considerations. Also, Troy Paterson (92) heads  to the Surrey Eagles, also for future considerations. “We would like to thank both Troy and Derek for their hard work, dedication and contributions during their time in Cowichan. We will miss them, and wish them both the best as they pursue their hockey careers.” said Jim Ingram.

BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1)
Trades Made: 7
Trades Made Within BCHL: 3
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 4
Players: 8
Future Considerations: 6

Nanaimo-Cowichan Valley Trade:

For the second time in just over a month, longtime division rivals in Nanaimo and Cowichan Valley have hooked up on a fairly significant trade.

The move sees the Clippers pick up 19-year-old goaltender Derek Dun from the Capitals for future considerations. Where the trade leaves the status of current Nanaimo goaltenders Jayson Argue and Jarrod Schamerhorn is unknown.

To Nanaimo Clippers:
G Derek Dun (93)http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=59947

To Cowichan Valley Capitals:
Future Considerations
Here’s the release from the Clippers website:

The Nanaimo Clippers are pleased to announce the acquisition of Goaltender Derek Dun (93) from the Cowichan Valley Capitals in exchange for Future Considerations.

We would like to welcome Derek to the Clipper family.

BCHL TRADE TRACKER (since Dec. 1)
Trades Made: 6
Trades Made Within BCHL: 2
Trades Made With Teams Outside BC: 4
Players: 7
Future Considerations: 5

BCHL News & Notes – Dec. 28:

Chilliwack Chiefs F Mitch Skapski (96) joins WHL’s Everett Silvertips

Word came out yesterday that 16-year-old Chiefs forward Mitch Skapski had signed with the WHL’s Everett Silvertips for the remainder of the 2012-13 season, effectively ending his chance for an NCAA scholarship.

According to Marc Fitzgerald’s blog (Chiefs Central), Skapski was actually released by Chilliwack a week ago, which enabled him to join the Silvertips.

F Mitch Skapski (96)http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=120655

Here’s the release from Everett’s website:

EVERETT – The Everett Silvertips today announced the addition of four players who will join the team immediately to help offset the absence of players who are currently away at international tournaments.  Forward Mitch Skapski has signed a WHL Education Contract and will join the Silvertips on a full-time basis, while forwards Logan Aasman and Kyle Raymond and 15-year-old defenseman Kevin Davis will also be with the club when it returns from the WHL holiday break with three games this weekend.

Skapski, 16, was acquired by the Silvertips in May in the same trade that brought Ben Betker and Tyler Sandhu to Everett from Portland in exchange for Seth Jones.  As the only 1996-born player with the Chilliwack Chiefs of the BCHL, Skapski had three goals, eight points and 39 penalty minutes in 29 games this year.  Hailing from Abbotsford, BC and originally selected in the fourth round (#86 overall) of the 2011 WHL Bantam Draft, the 5-9, 155-pound winger racked up 26 goals, 49 points and 86 penalty minutes in 40 midget games last season.

“We’re very excited that Mitch has decided to commit to our program this year,” said General Manager Garry Davidson.  “He’s known for his high level of compete and energy and plays a much bigger game than his size suggests.  Having Mitch here sooner will give him added experience that should help him going into next year.”

———

Alberni Valley Bulldogs forward Manny Gialedakis (92) commits to SUNY-Oswego

Gialedakis is the fifth Bulldogs player to secure a commitment to an NCAA school, after Ryan Lough, Evan Tironese, Bo Pellah, Matt Hansen and Marlon Sabo.

Here’s the release from the Bulldogs website:

Port Alberni, BC – The Alberni Valley Bulldogs are proud to announce that 1992-born forward Manny Gialedakis has committed to the NCAA Division III program at Oswego State University of New York.

Gialedakis was acquired by the Bulldogs in mid-September from the Georgetown Raiders of the Ontario Junior Hockey League for future considerations.

“I feel like its been a long time coming and I cannot be more pleased with where I’ll be going,” said Gialedakis. “Oswego is a great school with an even better hockey history and to say that I will be apart of their program next year is an honor.”

Since joining the Bulldogs, Gialedakis has been very committed to both his on-ice performance and off-ice initiatives. On the ice, Gialedakis has contributed with 11 goals and 15 assists in 30 games, including a hat trick against the Powell River Kings.

Gialedakis has also been very active in the community. Shortly after joining the Bulldogs, he helped out at the SPCA walking dogs in the mornings and spent two days each week in local elementary schools as a member of the “Bulldogs In Schools” program. Gialedakis is now registered for three courses at North Island College in order to maintain his NCAA eligibility for next September. In addition to his studies at NIC, Gialedakis is also involved in the Alberni Clayoquot Regional District’s 3 R’s recycling program that will have Gialedakis join fellow teammates present the benefits or recycling in local schools.

“The Alberni Valley Bulldogs are extremely happy to have been able to help Manny reach his goal and to play college hockey,” said Alberni Valley Bulldogs general manager and head coach Kevin Willison. “Since arriving in Alberni, Manny has worked very hard and has proven that he can play at the next level. Manny’s determination and dedication has helped him earn this opportunity for which we congratulate him,” concluded Willison.

Oswego State men’s ice hockey team sits at the No. 2 spot in the USCHO.com Division III polls. The Oswego State Lakers entered the Christmas break with a record of 9-2-0.

Manny concluded with the following message: “I’d like to thank the coaching staff, Tom McEvay and former GM Spiros Anastis for giving me the all opportunities i needed to succeed. To my mentor and friend Peter Sbaraglia I say thanks for always keeping me focused on the task at hand being there for me. My billets, The Arbanas family, for opening their doors to me and treating me like one of there own. To my parents and sister, Effie, Louie, and Maria thank you for your love and support, but no words can describe how lucky I am to have you guys with me every step of the way. I couldn’t be happier with the town of Port Alberni for embracing me and I could not think of a better way to finish my last year of junior hockey than to bring this town a Championship.”

———

West Kelowna adds Penticton Lakers G Niall McGregor (94) to reserve roster

The 18-year-old McGregor is the fourth goaltender to AP with the Warriors this season, although none of Brenden Mills (95), Tyler O’Donnell (93) or Cody Porter (97) have seen any action thus far.

The Calgary native has a 4-9-1 record with a 3.33 goals-against-average and a .913 save percentage in 17 games with the KIJHL’s Lakers this season.

———

Coquitlam Express add F Sam Majka (93) back to active roster

Almost a month after being released from the Express while recovering from a concussion, Coquitlam has added 19-year-old rookie forward Sam Majka back to its active roster.

I’m not sure why the Express didn’t put Majka on the injured reserve if he was still hurt as opposed to releasing him (it might have been because of the other injuries they had), but regardless, having the Wayzata, Minnesota native and Malcolm McKinney back to full health with help immensely. Especially considering that Alexander Kerfoot is out for the rest of the season with a shoulder injury.

F Sam Majka (93)

———

Former Chilliwack Chiefs F Jeff Tambellini leaves ZSC (Switzerland)

Two weeks after leaving the team for personal reasons, former Chilliwack Chiefs sniper Jeff Tambellini and his club team in Switzerland (ZSC Lions) have mutually terminated his contract. I don’t know why Tambellini left the team, but I sincerely hope he is able to get his personal situation sorted out for the best.

F Jeff Tambellinihttp://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=9509

Here’s the translated article about Tambellini’s contract with ZSC being terminated:

The contract between the ZSC Lions and Jeff Tambellini is at 28 December 2012 has been dissolved by mutual agreement. About the contents of the contract was agreed keep silent.

The contract is based on the desire of the player. Jeff Tambellini traveled on 14 December 2012 for personal reasons from.

The Canadian was on the 2011/12 season pushed back from the Vancouver Canucks to the ZSC Lions. He completed 92 games for the city club and scored 69 points.

The ZSC Lions wish Jeff Tambellini for the future.

Great Northwest Showcase Preview:

The first annual Great Northwest Showcase kicks off tomorrow from the Bill Copeland Sports Centre in Burnaby featuring the host SFU Clan, the UBC Thunderbirds, the Arizona State Sun Devils and the University of Oklahoma Sooners.

Tickets are very affordable at just $15 per game, but there is a four-game package available for just $50. Tickets are available online at GreatNorthwestShowcase.com or at the door, however only cash will be accepted if you’re buying tickets at the door.

In addition, myself and Nasen Furtado will have the call of all four games available on Fast Hockey pay-per-view at FastHockey.com.

It’s bound to be a great two days of college hockey!

Game 1: University of BC vs. Arizona State University 4pm Friday

Game 2: Simon Fraser University vs. University of Oklahoma 7:15pm Friday

Game 3: University of BC vs. University of Oklahoma 4pm Saturday

Game 4: Simon Fraser University vs. Arizona State University 7:15pm Saturday

Simon Fraser University (8-1-0-1), Ranked 2nd in the BCIHL

Last game: Saturday, December 1st – 7-1 win over TRU
Streak: Won 2
Last ten games: 8-1-0-1

Average age: 22.05 years
Average height: 6‘0″
Average weight: 188.2 lbs.

Goals-For: 56 (Avg. 5.60)
Goals-Against: 23 (Avg. 2.30)

Power play: 14/67 (20.90% – 3rd in BCIHL)
Penalty kill: 62/71 (87.32% – 2nd in BCIHL)

Head Coach: Mark Coletta

The Clan have two of the top 10 scorers in the BCIHL in Chris Hoe (4-15-19 in 9 games) and Ben Van Lare (8-7-15 in 8 games). Evan Kurylo (5 games, 3-1-0, 1.56 GAA, .917 Sv%) and Graeme Gordon (5 games, 4-1-0, 2.85 GAA, .896 Sv%) will likely have the task of keeping the puck out of the SFU goal.

University of British Columbia (9-6-1), Ranked 4th in Canada West, 14th in CIS

Last game: Saturday, December 1st – 3-0 loss to Univ. of Regina
Streak: Lost 1
Last ten games: 5-5-0

Average age: 22.34 years
Average height: 6′0
Average weight: 187.1 lbs.

Goals-For: 51 (Avg. 3.18)
Goals-Against: 48 (Avg. 3.00)

Power play: 13/64 (20.30% – 3rd in Canada West, 11th in CIS)
Penalty kill: 46/61 (75.40% – 8th and last in Canada West, 35th and last in CIS)

Head Coach: Milan Dragicevic

Max Grassi (5-10-15 in 16 games) carries the mail offensively for the T-Birds while Neil Manning (0-13-13 in 16 games) leads from the blueline. Fourth year veteran Jordan White is number one in the crease (11 games, 6-4-0-0, 2.55 GAA, .917 SV%) and sophomore Steven Stanford backs him up (7 games, 3-3-0-1, 3.12 GAA, .898 SV%, 1 SO).

Arizona State University (20-2-0), Ranked 1st in American Collegiate Hockey Association Division 1

Last game: Saturday, December 8th – 5-3 loss to Robert Morris University
Streak: Lost 1
Last ten games: 8-2

Average age: 22.23 years
Average height: 5’11”
Average weight: 183.5 lbs.

Goals-For: 130 (Avg. 6.50)
Goals-Against: 47 (Avg. 2.35)

Power play: N/A
Penalty kill: N/A

Head Coach: Greg Powers

I can’t claim to know much about the Sun Devils, but I did stumble across a great website with tons of analysis. I’ve checked it out in preparation for the Showcase and I’d encourage you to as well. The website is here: http://www.houseofsparky.com/asu-hockey

Kale Dolinski (23-14-37 in 21 games) and Colin Hekle (17-19-36 in 22 games) are the top two scorers for ASU. Seven Sun Devils players are averaging more than a point per game while two others are just under at 0.77 points per game. Joe D’Elia (15 games, 14-1, 2.05 GAA, .920 SV%) has played the bulk of games in goal while Corey Frank (5 games, 3-0, 1.26 GAA, .940 SV%) and Kyle Dietriech (5 games, 3-1, 3.09 GAA, .880 SV%) have split duties as back-up.

University of Oklahoma (14-7-1), Ranked 6th in American Collegiate Hockey Association Division 1

Last game: Saturday, December 8th – 5-0 win over University of Central Oklahoma
Streak: Won 4
Last ten games: 7-3

Average age: 21.5 years
Average height: 5’11”
Average weight: 177.5 lbs.

Goals-For: 99 (Avg. 4.50)
Goals-Against: 58 (Avg. 2.64)

Power play: N/A
Penalty kill: N/A

Head Coach: Peter Arvanitis

Same with ASU, I don’t know much about the Sooners, but discovered a great blog with details on the team here: http://puckchk.wordpress.com/category/hockey-posts/ou-sooner-hockey/

As far as points go, Jordan Greenberg (10-15-25 in 22 games) and Chad Hudson (11-11-22 in 20 games) lead the way. OU has a lot of depth in scoring, with 12 players in double digits in points and only two Sooners are without a point this season. Colin Fernandes (15 games, 11-4, 2.17 GAA, .920 SV%, 3 SO) is the go-to guy in goal and Nick Holmes (7 games, 3-4, 3.58 GAA, .860 SV%) is the back-up. Youngster Louis Libin (1 game, 0-0, 1.50 GAA, .910 SV%) has seen just 40 minutes of relief all season.