BCHL Scoring Depth 2012-13:

Inspired once again by Alan Caldwell’s Small Thoughts At Large WHL blog, I thought I’d look at each BCHL team’s depth heading into the playoffs.

It’s clear to see which teams have the most scoring depth and which ones rely on just a few players for most of their scoring.

So, here’s a chart showing the 12 playoff teams and breaking down how many players on each team scored 40+, 30+, 20+, and 10+ goals.

Team 10+ 20+ 30+ 40+
Alberni Valley 8 2 0 0
Chilliwack 8 3 2 0
Langley 9 2 1 1
Merritt 6 2 0 0
Nanaimo 8 2 1 0
Penticton 9 3 0 0
Powell River 8 1 0 0
Prince George 7 3 0 0
Salmon Arm 6 1 0 0
Surrey 8 2 2 0
Victoria 7 3 1 0
West Kelowna 6 3 1 0

There’s not always a lot to read into numbers like these. For example, West Kelowna was the highest scoring team in the BCHL, but is tied with Merritt and Salmon Arm for the fewest number of players in double digits in goals-scored.

It’s no surprise that two of the three division leaders (Penticton and Victoria) are among the leaders of players having 20+ goals, although it is interesting to note that Chilliwack and Prince George both had more 20+ scorers than the Mainland Division champs from Surrey.