Month: May 2013

BCHL Import Rules Changing in 2013-14:

At the Canadian Junior Hockey League’s Annual General Meeting last Thursday, the ten member Junior A leagues decided to alter the import rules for the upcoming season.
In fact, the only uniform rule that I’ve been able to find that was across the entire CJHL in the past was that each team was only allowed eight import players on its roster at one given time. There seems to have been discrepancies across the country as to whether an import player maintained that status throughout his Junior A career.

In the BCHL, the previous rule was stated like this:

An import is any player transferring into the BC Branch from out of province who finished the last season in another branch – ie Alberta.

The new rule says imports are now only players who do not have Canadian citizenship, regardless of where they were registered in the previous season.

For example, if a player with Canadian citizenship were to play in a junior league in the U.S. like the NAHL, USHL, WSHL, etc. during one season and then be signed by a BCHL team for the following season, he won’t be considered an import under the new rule.

The exact wording of the new rule is this:

No player having Canadian citizenship shall be classified as an Import.

One of the other rules changed for 2013-14 relates to how long a player is considered an import. Previously, if a player was designated an import, he only carried that notation for his first season playing Junior A hockey and then in his second season he was no longer considered an import.

The previous rule:

You are only designated as in import your first year.

The new rule:

Any player who meets the definition of Import in his first season of Junior A hockey shall continue to be classified as an Import when registering to play Junior A hockey in any subsequent season.

The leagues also decided to change the number of imports teams are allowed to have as well. It’s been reduced from eight to seven. What’s unknown is if the rule is grandfathered or not, meaning if a player (who isn’t a Canadian citizen) skated in the BCHL in 2012-13, is he still considered an import for 2013-14 and beyond?
The previous rule:

A team may only have 8 import players on their roster at any one time and sign maximum of 12 during a season.

The new rule:

The maximum number of Imports that can register and play on a Junior A team at any given time shall be seven (7) in the 2013-14 season, and shall be six (6) beginning in the 2014-15 season. A review of that maximum number shall occur prior to the 2015-16 season.

These new rules will have a definite impact on some teams in the CJHL, while for others, it is simply business as usual as they didn’t usually stock their roster with import players.

Grandview Steelers Defenceman Colton Schock First To Commit To SFU For 2013-14:

D Colton Schoch (92)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=128098

This is posted on the SFU hockey website:

The Simon Fraser University Men’s Ice Hockey program is pleased to announce that Grandview Steelers defenceman Colton Schock has committed to join the team for the 2013/2014 season.

Quick Stats
Age: 20
Position: D
Shoots: R
Height: 5’11”
Weight: 181 lbs

20 year old Schock played four seasons in the PIJHL with Grandview, totalling 29 points and 171 penalty minutes in 180 regular season games. The consistent defenceman also played in 9 playoff games with Grandview, and looks forward to continued success with the SFU program.

“I really like how much the hockey program at SFU is growing, and I look forward to contributing and winning a championship there,” says Schock. The SFU recruit describes himself as a “smart, physical, puck-moving defenceman with good speed.”

“Having a local Burnaby product join the SFU Hockey program is a great thing,” says SFU Head Coach Mark Coletta. “Colton is a great kid, hard working, and excited about wearing the SFU jersey. We recognized very early this past season that we needed to bolster the defensive core and Colton will be a great addition to the blue-line.”

Schock is the first player to commit to SFU for the 2013/2014 season. Further announcements will be made in the coming weeks.

BCHL Announces 2013 Officials Awards:

Here’s the release from the BCHL website:
The BCHL is proud to announce the recipients of the BCHL officiating awards for the 2012-2013 season.

The Kelly Sutherland Award and the Brad Lazarowich Award were created last year to recognize officiating excellence in the BCHL.

The Kelly Sutherland Award for the top referee is presented this year to Jeff Ingram. Jeff is a veteran referee in the BCHL who is currently a Level 6 official. He refereed the BCHL Fred Page Cup this year and was selected to referee in the Western Canadian Championships in Nanaimo, where he was assigned the final game between the Surrey Eagles and Brooks Bandits.

“Jeff is a quality referee and person.  He has been a top referee in the BCHL for many years and is committed to excellence both on and off the ice,” said BCHL Director of Officiating Derek Adams. “Jeff has acted as a mentor to our young referees and is a leader on our staff who sets the bar extremely high for the standard of how we want our games in the BCHL to be officiated”.

Jeff also referees in the WHL and CIS, and was selected to referee the CIS Championships in Saskatoon in 2013.

The Brad Lazarowich Award for the top linesman is presented to Bevan Mills. Bevan has been a linesman in the BCHL since 2004 and has worked the Fred Page Cup for the past four years. Bevan was also selected to officiate in the Western Canada Cup this year.

“The mark of a great linesman is one who makes the referee’s job easier because he works hard at being proactive in preventing situations from escalating. That’s what makes Bevan such a great linesmen” said Adams.  “Bevan is extremely professional and respectful both on and off the ice and is committed to making the officiating team the best team on the ice every night”.

Bevan is also a linesman in the AHL and WHL and was selected to work the 2013 Memorial Cup this year in Saskatoon.

“These awards are a testament to the commitment the BCHL Board of Governors has to recognizing and supporting the officiating program in the BCHL” said Adams. “I congratulate both Jeff and Bevan for receiving these awards, but I am extremely proud of everyone on our officiating staff. There are always going to be some tough games, but our staff consistently comes to the rink every night to work hard and officiate the game in a very fair and professional manner”.

Three BCHL Alumni Win Kelly Cup as ECHL Champions:

The strong pedigree of BCHL alumni continues as three former players from the league claimed the Kelly Cup as East Coast Hockey League champions as members of the Reading Royals out of Reading, Pennsylvania.

Forwards Kirk MacDonald (Victoria, 2000-02), Evan Barlow (Salmon Arm, 2003-05), and Ethan Cox (2004-06) will all be recognized as part of the championship team.
For Barlow and MacDonald, it’s their first ECHL title while Cox won a Kelly Cup with the Alaska Aces in 2011.

Here’s the release from the Royals website:

The Reading Royals of the ECHL, affiliate of the Washington Capitals of the National Hockey League and the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League, defeated the Stockton Thunder, 6-0, in Game Five of the best-of-seven Kelly Cup Championship Final match-up between the Royals and Thunder at Stockton Arena in Stockton, California. With the win, the Royals won the ECHL Kelly Cup Championship over the Thunder, four games to one.

In tonight’s decisive game, the Royals scored late in the first and the proceeded to ring off four straight in the second—a scoring spree that included an unassisted even strength goal, a short-handed goal and a power play goal—to build what proved to be an insurmountable lead. Goaltender Riley Gill (win 13-3-1, 29/29), who was selected as the ECHL Kelly Cup Playoffs’ Most Valuable Player, made all twenty-nine saves he was called upon to make—several in spectacular fashion—to record his fourth shutout of the playoff season.

This marks the first ECHL championship win for the Royals, who just completed their twelfth season in Reading. This is the seventeenth Kelly Cup Awarded in this the Twenty-Fifth Anniversary season for the ECHL. The league champion in the first eight seasons of the league was awarded the Riley Cup. The Royals are the tenth different organization in the ECHL to win the Kelly Cup; and the sixteenth different organization to win the league championship.

With this Championship, Royals’ defenseman Patrick Wellar becomes only the second player in ECHL history to win the Kelly Cup three times. Wellar, who won the Cup with the Alaska Aces (2006) and South Carolina Stingrays (2009), joins Scott Burt in that regard. For Ethan Cox and Nikita Kashirsky, this marks their second Kelly Cup Championship. Cox won it previously with the Alaska Aces in 2011. Kashirsky was a member of the Stingrays in their championship run in 2009. For Bryant Molle, Barry Almeida and Stan Galiev, this marks a second consecutive championship season. Molle was a member of the 2012 CHL President’s Cup Champion Fort Wayne Komets. Almeida won the NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey National Championship with Boston College in 2012. Galiev was a member of the Saint John’s Sea Dogs who won the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Championship in 2012.

After an energetic start to tonight’s game that saw both clubs generate quality scoring chances, the Royals struck first 17:05 into the first period when Mark Mitera threw a wrister off the wide left point that hit a body on the way in and deflected behind goaltender Tyler Bunz (loss, 1-1-0 28/34) for Mitera’s second of the season—and what proved to be his first game winner of the season.

The Royals then exploded for four in the second. It started 2:49 into the period, when Brett Flemming walked around everyone down the right wing side, got tight to the goaltender Bunz and forced it under him for Flemming’s fifth of the playoff season, which proved to lead all defenseman in the ECHL. Reading then capitalized on the team’s first penalty kill of the night with a short-handed goal by Ian O’Connor. T.J. Syner sprang O’Connor for the break, and he buried a hot snapper by Bunz for his sixth of the playoff season—and his second SHG and the fourth SHG of the playoff season for Reading.

The Royals stretched the lead to 4-0 when Pat Wellar fired from the left point. Bunz made the save, but Syner was wide open out in front to punch back the rebound for his ninth of the playoff season. Reading stretched the lead to 5-0 with a power play goal by Stan Galiev, who was inserted into the Royals’ line-up tonight after missing twelve consecutive games. Galiev got a clean look for a bullet-wrister from the left circle for his fourth of the playoff season with 4:50 remaining in the second period. Galiev was set up by Yannick Tifu, who recorded his twenty-fifth point of the playoff season (12g-13a) which proved to lead all players in the ECHL’s post-season.

Reading added one more in the third when Syner set up Joel Champagne, charging down the middle, for a redirect over Bunz with 3:35 left in regulation. But by that time, the outcome had been pretty much determined as the Royals played a simple and solid final period of the 2012-13 season.

UPDATED – Surrey-Cowichan Valley-Langley-Penticton Trade Finalized:

Thanks to Surrey Eagles play-by-play man Brendan Batchelor and Langley associate coach Jordan Emmerson for clarifying that the trade that sees forward Kevan Kilistoff (95) join the Riverman as the final piece of a four team, five player deal.

On December 28th, Penticton traded defenseman Nathan Deyell (95) to Cowichan Valley for future considerations, Langley traded defenseman Thomas Nitsche (92) to the Vees for future considerations, the Capitals traded defenseman Troy Paterson (92) to Surrey for future considerations and the Eagles moved defenseman Austin Bietenbeck (95) and futures to the Rivermen for future considerations.

So the trades break down like this:

To Langley:
F Kevan Kilistoff (95)http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=102299
D Austin Bietenbeck (95)http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=153249
To Surrey:
D Troy Paterson (92)http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=47847
To Cowichan Valley:
D Nathan Deyell (95)http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=128085
To Penticton:
D Thomas Nitsche (92)http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=151458

Here’s the release from the Eagles:

Forward Kevan Kilistoff is off to the Langley Rivermen, completing the multi-team trade that saw the Eagles pick up Troy Paterson from Cowichan Valley.

Kilistoff will have a chance to play for his hometown team as he’ll make the short trip to Langley. An 18-year-old BCHL rookie, Kilistoff had 17 points in 52 games in the regular season. His biggest goal of the playoffs came when he scored the overtime winner in Game 5 of the Fred Page Cup Final against the Penticton Vees to give Surrey a 3-2 lead in the series.
Here’s the Rivermen take on things:
The Langley Rivermen Junior “A” Hockey club is pleased to announce the acquisition of Kevan Kilistoff (1995 born) from the Surrey Eagles. This move completes a multi team trade that saw the Eagles pick up Troy Paterson from the Cowichan Valley Capitals. Kilistoff had a stellar rookie season racking 7 goals and 10 assists in 52 games with the Eagles.

“I am happy to come to my hometown and play for the Rivermen. It is a good organization that looks poised to have a good team next year and and playing out of one of the best facilities in the league on a daily basis doesn’t hurt either,” Kilistoff said.

The trade came as a complete surprise to the youngster as he found out about the news on Thursday morning during his exit interview with his Head Coach Matt Erhart,

“I did not see it coming that is for sure. At first I had mixed feelings about it because I had such a good time with Surrey, but at the same time I was happy to go closer to home and play in Langley,” Kilistoff continued.

Kilistoff is a 6 foot, 190 pound forward that can play in any position up front and in all situations. His new Head Coach Bobby Henderson had nothing but good things to say about his new player,

“We are excited to bring in a good local talent like Kevan to our club. He brings good experience as he is fresh off playing in the RBC Cup with Surrey and had a pretty big role with that team and we expect his role to expand with us,” said Henderson, “he is a playmaking forward that has really good speed and a knack for the net and we expect his numbers to increase with us.”

Not many players playing in their first season in the BCHL can say they accomplished what Kevan did in his rookie year. The 18 year old not only won the Fred Page Cup, but the Western Canada Cup as well which earned the Eagles a birth into the national championship tournament. Kilistoff went on to say those experiences will help him tremendously going into next year.

Playing in the Mainland division, Kilistoff is familiar with the Rivermen and believes they are a team on the rise,

“We had some good battles with the Rivermen all year, especially in the playoffs. They were a tough team to play against and were easy games to get up for when we played them. There are some key pieces coming back for another year and I hope to contribute any way I can,” Kilistoff finished.

Surrey-Vernon Trade Finalized:

With the end of the Surrey Eagles season a week ago in the semifinals at the RBC Cup, news was released on Thursday which players going to the Vernon Vipers as the future considerations from the January 10th trade which saw Adam Tambellini join the eventual BCHL champions.

The deal winds up being a five player transaction with Tambellini and forward Michael Roberts (95) heading to Surrey while forward Mason Blacklock (94) was sent to Vernon at the deadline and now forward Demico Hannoun (95) and defenseman Jordan Klimek (95) are off to the Vipers.

The move gives Hannoun and Klimek the rare opportunity to play in back-to-back RBC Cup tournaments as Vernon hosts the national junior A championship in 2014.

So the final, completed deal looks like this:

To Vernon:
F Demico Hannoun (95)http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=98683
F Mason Blacklock (94)http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=59930
D Jordan Klimekhttp://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=102237
To Surrey:
F Michael Roberts (95)http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=125331
F Adam Tambellini (94)http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=103529

Here’s the release from the Vipers website:

The Vernon Vipers and Surrey Eagles have now completed the deal that sent Adam Tambellini to the Eagles at the BCHL Trade Deadline.

The BCHL Champion Eagles are sending forward Demico Hannoun(95) and defenceman Jordan Klimek (95) to the Vipers for next season.

In order to finalize the deal the Vipers have sent forward Michael Roberts(95) to the Surrey Eagles.

In the end the trade featured 5 players in total with the Vipers acquiring Mason Blacklock, Hannoun and Klimek in exchange for Tambellini and Roberts.

Both Hannoun and Klimek have secured scholarships for the 14-15 season with Hannoun attending Michigan Tech while Klimek will suit up for Northern Michigan.

Head Coach and General Manager Jason Williamson is excited to add two more experienced bodies to his roster.  “Any time that you have the opportunity to acquire players of this calibre you have to entertain it.  Moving Adam and Michael were not easy decisions for our club however we believed it gave us an opportunity to add some depth and some very good talent to our line-up during a very important season for us.  The experience gained by both Jordan and Demico during Surrey’s recent and successful playoff run will be very valuable to our group moving forward.”

The Vipers would like to welcome Demico and Jordan to the hockey club and wish Michael the best of luck next season and in the future.

For more information please call the Viper office at 250-542-6022.

Here’s the release from the Eagles website:

On Thursday, the Surrey Eagles announced that three players have been traded as future considerations, completing deals that were made during the BCHL’s regular season. Forward Demico Hannoun and defenceman Jordan Klimek are on their way to the Vernon Vipers as part of the move that brought Adam Tambellini to Surrey while Vernon forward Michael Roberts will join the Eagles.

“It is a tough day as a coach and GM when you have to part with three quality young men that all have bright futures in the game of hockey,” said Eagles Head Coach and General Manager Matt Erhart. “In order for the Eagles to push through and capture the Fred Page and Western Canada Cups, we felt that the moves were necessary at the time the trades were made.”

Roberts joins the Eagles after posting four goals and six assists in 53 games in his rookie season with the Vipers last year. The 18-year-old Vernon native spent the 2011-2012 season with the Revelstoke Grizzlies of the KIJHL where he scored over a point per game.

Hannoun heads to the Vipers after two seasons with the Eagles. In his time in Surrey, the 17-year-old tallied 59 points in 91 regular season games. The North Delta product was a big part of Surrey’s run to the semi-final at the RBC Cup, netting nine goals and 14 assists in 26 post-season games. Hannoun has committed to the Michigan Tech Huskies for the 2014-2015 season.

Klimek is also off to Vernon after completing his rookie season in Surrey. The Langley native had six goals and 17 assists in 52 regular season games — including four game winning goals. The 17-year-old had only one goal in the post-season, but it was a big one as he found the back of the net in the final of the Western Canada Cup against the Brooks Bandits. Klimek has committed to the Northern Michigan Wildcats for the 2014-2015 season.

Salmon Arm SilverBacks Hire Chris Wahl as Marketing Director & Play-By-Play Announcer:

(New Salmon Arm Marking Director & Play-By-Play Announcer Chris Wahl)

The first play-by-play change of the 2013 BCHL off-season has occurred with Chris Wahl taking over from Scott Campbell in Salmon Arm.
Chris leaves the Play-By-Play and Marketing Director position with the Trail Smoke Eaters, which means there’s an opening in the West Kootenay for an aspiring sports broadcaster. The Cowichan Valley Capitals are the only other BCHL team without a play-by-play broadcaster at this point. They have been since Alf Orton left the position in Duncan during the 2012-13 season.
The quality of broadcasters in the BCHL is outstanding and I have absolutely no doubt that Chris will be successful in Salmon Arm.

Here’s the release from the SilverBacks website:

The Salmon Arm SilverBacks are pleased to announce the hiring of Chris Wahl as director of marketing & corporate partnerships and play-by-play broadcaster.

Wahl, 28, joins the SilverBacks after two seasons with the Trail Smoke Eaters as play-by-play broadcaster. He was named Trail’s director of marketing in May 2012. Before his time in Trail, Wahl called games for the KIJHL’s Castlegar Rebels for two seasons.

“I’m very excited to be joining a quality organization in Salmon Arm,” Wahl stated. “During my travels with the Smoke Eaters, the Shaw Centre stood out as a lively, well-supported atmosphere and I can’t wait to help build on that strong foundation heading into the 2013-14 season.”

SilverBacks GM & Head Coach Troy Mick says…

“We are very excited to announce that Chris Wahl has joined the SilverBacks Hockey club as the New Director of Marketing and Play by play for this coming season. Walzy as he is known through the BCHL circles is a young, energetic, passionate people person who will be a great addition to our team” says Mick

We wanted to combine both the Marketing & Play by Play positions this year to stream line our operations and Chris’s resume rose to the top of the applicants because of his knowledge of the BCHL and his proven professionalism within the league.

We would also like to thank Scott Campbell for all of his hard work during the last 2 years as the Voice of the Backs and we are currently trying to keep him within the organization in another capacity.

Wahl will be relocating to Salmon Arm in time to commence duties with the team on Monday, May 27th.

For more information please contact the SilverBacks Hockey Operations office at 250-832-3856 Ext 106