Prince George Grabs UMass-Amherst Recruit Michael Iovanna From Vernon:

With a roster ravaged by injuries, Prince George Spruce Kings GM Mike Hawes saw a need to add to his complement of players a week ago, acquiring Middleton, Massachusettes product Michael Iovanna (94) from the Vernon Vipers for future considerations.

Iovanna was a highly recruited prospect for this season after putting up 1.9 points-per-game last season with Malden Catholic High in U.S. High School hockey.

To Prince George Spruce Kings:
F Michael Iovanna (94)http://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=189576To Vernon Vipers:
Future Considerations

Here’s the Spruce Kings take on the deal:

The Prince George Spruce Kings of the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) have completed a trade with the Vernon Vipers of the BCHL to acquire 1994 born forward, Mike Iovanna in exchange for future considerations.

Mike Iovanna is a 5′ 09″ 160 lbs right handed forward from Middleton, Massachusetts who has a NCAA Division I commitment to the University of Massachusetts Amrherst for the 2015-16 season.

Iovanna was a standout playing at Malden Catholic High School where he registered 15 goals and 27 assists in 22 games.

“We are excited to acquire Mike,” said Spruce Kings General Manager, Mike Hawes. “He is a skilled, shifty forward with tremendous offensive potential. He had put up good offensive numbers in high school in Massachusetts and he will be given every opportunity to do the same thing with us.”

The player transaction became necessary with the injury to Bryant Christian last weekend that is expected to sideline the team’s captain for six to eight weeks. Jake LeBrun is expected to be out of the lineup for two more weeks. Mitch Barker has also been added to the injured list and will miss both games this weekend.

“It’s very unfortunate that two long term injuries have forced us to make a few changes but that’s hockey sometimes,” added Hawes. “I know (Mike Iovanna) will come in here and work very hard and his tremendous character will be a good fit with our tight knit group of players.”

Here’s the release from the Vipers:

The Vernon Vipers have traded 19 year old forward Michael Iovanna to the Prince George Spruce Kings in exchange for future considerations.

The product of Middleton Massachusetts was pointless in 14 games this season for Vernon.

The Vipers would like to thank Michael for his commitment to the community and the hockey club and wish him the best of luck in Prince George and in the future.